CHAPTER V

━━━━━━༺༻ ━━━━━━
CHAPTER V
HEART OF DARKNESS

━━━━━━༺༻ ━━━━━━CHAPTER VHEART OF DARKNESS

━━━━━━༺༻ ━━━━━━

𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐏 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐒 during Riverdale High's lunch break, Florence found herself engrossed in lively conversation with James. Above them, the sky hung heavy with billowing clouds, casting a chill that seeped through Florence's thin t-shirt, eliciting a shiver.

The atmosphere shifted with the arrival of Cheryl, her presence commanding attention as she made her way towards them. Florence's gaze flickered from James to Cheryl as she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Florence," Cheryl's voice cut through the ambient chatter. "I'm assuming my brother has already invited you to Jason's memorial, but I wanted to personally give you this." With a graceful movement, Cheryl handed her a sleek black envelope, its matte surface absorbing the muted light of the overcast afternoon.

"Thank you, Cheryl," Florence replied, her smile warm with gratitude. Sensing Cheryl's lingering presence, she raised her eyebrows in confusion, silently questioning the reason for her continued company.

After a brief pause, Cheryl broke the silence. "I'm having a sleepover, and seeing as you and my brother are now... official, you're invited."

"Cheryl, don't-" James attempted to interject, but Florence's swift response cut him off.

"I'll be there. When is it?"

"The night before the memorial," Cheryl confirmed, her words punctuated by a sigh from James, who ran a hand across his face. Undeterred by his exasperation, Cheryl continued. "I'll see you there," before gracefully departing, leaving James to shake his head in resignation.

"I can't believe you just agreed to that," James remarked with a sigh, his expression reflecting a mixture of concern and resignation as Cheryl's figure disappeared from view.

"Why? Cheryl isn't that bad. I mean, she's bitchy, but that's understandable now," Florence reasoned, her tone tinged with a hint of empathy.

"It's not Cheryl, it's my parents." James confessed.

"Come on, I can handle bad parents. Plus, I bet there'll be lots of other girls; nobody will even notice I'm there." Florence reassured him, and with a warm smile, she reached out to squeeze his hand.

━━━━━━༺༻ ━━━━━━

Veronica's voice cut through the stifling silence that hung heavy in the air of the opulent dining room, attempting to dispel the tension on the room.  "Thank you for having us."

"Cheryl invited you. I have no idea why you're here," Penelope Blossom retorted sharply.

"Me neither. I thought there'd be more girls." Florence spoke up. She glanced at James, who couldn't help but smirk in amusement at her boldness.