Prologue

In August of 1942, some kind man decided to pay for all the seats in one of London's cinemas and give Wool's orphans a "magical" experience. At least that's what Mrs. Cole said. As if she had any idea what magic was, thought Tom Riddle, sitting grimly in the corner of dining room in the dingy orphanage. He couldn't stand summer- he was away from Hogwarts, among muggles, unable to contact anyone from magical world and confined to the shadiest London neighborhood. Yes, he had recently killed his father and grandparents and even made his first horcrux, but he still didn't feel satisfied. Although Tom hated muggles with passion, he couldn't deny he was curious about seeing a movie. He had never been to the cinema before and valued to get all the possible experiences in life.

Most boys in the orphanage wanted to see a western, but there were way more girls than boys and Mrs. Cole herself rarely went to see movies, so in the end they chose an adventure drama. A dull romantic movie, as Tom decided. His guess was confirmed when by the cinema, he saw a poster of the said movie, called "Under the Eiffel Tower". There was a tiny drawing of Eiffel Tower and a big photo of two actors- a woman, her picture was larger and closer, and a man, further. 'Priscilla Skapo & Garry Dollens in "Under the Eiffel Tower"', it said. Tom had heard of the woman, she was a famous British-born American actress, but man wasn't as famous- she was in front, promoting the movie. Really, how pathetic a movie has to be, so only a woman can promote it? thought Tom as he took his seat.

As movie went on, with growing annoyance he realized that he would have to listen to girls fawning over the pretty actress and probably hear about the actor too for days. Mrs. Cole was also clearly flustered when the guy showed up on screen, and she would definitely try some of actress's beauty tips, which he knew, will end up looking horrible. And why was she so all over the actor? He was a middle aged, flabby man with very uncharacteristic features and overly-gelled hair. The woman, on the over hand, was beautiful, with small, sharp face, plump lips and wide eyes. Her eyebrows were thin and fashionably plucked, but hair was over-teased and stood like lion's mane.

Just when actors' posh accent had almost reached the point where Tom was about to send a jet of wandless 'bombarda' into the screen, the movie ended. Kids left cinema reluctantly, starring at snacks and sweets in the hall. They walked to the orphanage with a loud murmur and at the first chance he got, Tom slipped away, went up to his room and slammed the door shut, not even descending for dinner. Mrs. Cole knew better than to look for him- the boy gave her goosebumps.

AN

Trigger warnings for the story include: sexual assault and misconduct, racism, child death, eating disorders- we have it all here. I will mark them at the beginning of the chapter.