A Festival of Combat

"This is-!" Ben stared at the newspaper, his eyes wide as he frantically read through it. " 'Those who win as the last one standing stand to gain Ophelia Anderson's hand in marriage.. the status of Consort to the Throne.. and all the authorities that-... 10,000 years.. she's been single 10,000 years and they pick NOW to make her MARRY somebody!?"

Velma frowned at Ben, standing near the back of the group as they sat on the plush couches in near the fireplace at the hotel's lobby.  "Uh.. kid.. don't know where you've been living, but they hold this once every year for the Queen. Though I guess you're human so you're not as long lived as me, but.. this isn't exactly a secret.  Just.. nobody's ever been able to beat the champion-."

"Ch-CHAMPION!? SHE'S ALREADY MARRIED!?" Ben stammered. 

"Easy Ben." said Gojo as he adjusted his glasses, leaning back casually on his chair. "What she means is that apparently Ariadne, the Queen's  head of security always enters each match as well.  She has no romantic interest in the Queen and its rumored she's quite protective of her. Nobody's ever been able to beat her."

Ben sighed with relief. "So.. its.. .not unusual then."

Erice frowned. "Hold it Ben.. I hear a 'but' somewhere in there, right Gojo?"

Gojo put his fingers together. "Rumor is that the current investigation into the matters involving the assassins who just tried to kill me has stretched Ariadne thin.. exhausted her.. meaning there is actually a chance this year.. that somebody will be able to claim the hand of the Queen. As a result, various houses and factions from all over the world, especially countries wanting to claim the power of the Vampire Queen, have sent entire squads of their best warriors to participate. 

Ben gritted his teeth. "Do.. do any of them, actually love her!?" 

Gojo remained silent. 

Velma raised an eyebrow. "Wow.. you.. you really are in LOVE with her aren't you? And here I thought you just wanted to bang her like the rest of the dregs.." 

Ben looked at Velma.

"My talent allows me to.. peer into the intentions of humans." said Velma. "Its how I know you actually love her. And I've been around for over 200 tourneys. Most competitors just want power or sex. You're a first..  but you can't have met her before.."

"As a matter of fact.. our boy here has." said Todo. "And your queen fell for him too."

"Unbelievable as it might sound." said Gojo. "Ben Tennyson and Ophelia Anderson were in love with each other, but certain circumstances led to Ophelia's memory being wiped of their encounter. We intend to remind her.. "

Velma furrowed her brow, fiddling with her glasses. "Hmmm.. normally I'd call you all crazy shitheads and walk away, but.. I have to say I'm a believer given what I can see.  I don't think you PIs are being completely honest, but I know for a fact you only want to help..  and that this kid is genuinely feeling real love.. not just some weird offhand obssession..  damn.. this month just keeps getting crazier doesn't it?"

"Are there any special requirements for joining the tournament?" asked Gojo. 

"Well.. normally commoners can't join at all" said Velma. "But recommendations from high up officers and nobles can get you in.. though I hear the Queen really hates that system. She wanted anyone to join, but monopolies from certain corporations and Noble Vampire families from the time of Vlad have muddied the waters regarding that. " 

"Hmm.. so even in a utopian society, there are still flaws, well that much is a given." said Gojo. "Ophelia can try all she likes, she'll never make a perfect world.  She should be proud of what she's already built at least.  Even so, could you perhaps recommend Ben for the tournament Ms. Velma?"