match girls

[The coat is her travel/working jacket :]

After Enola and I had finished the first mystery and successfully found Eudoria Holmes, we started a business. 'Enola Holmes detective agency' we had a couple of customers, however none stuck around and only wanted to see Sherlock, who was drowning in cases. Soon enough we were out of money to keep the business going. We sat and watched the paint be taken off the window of our home and business.

While we packed up our stuff to leave the door opened revealing a child, no older than 12, who was not wealthy, at all. "Yes." I asked. '' Enola Holmes?" she asked. "Yes?" Enola asked. "I've come to the right place then." Enola and I shared a look of question. "Is it true you find lost people?" She asked while showing us a cut out of a news paper. " Where did you get this? It's months old." I asked. "I found it on the street." She responded. " Who have you lost?" I asked her. "My sister.'' 

Me and Enola grabbed our coats and notepads and followed the girl to her home. We came up to a borded path over a large puddle. " Watch the gap." Bess, as i learned, told us. Once we had made it to her humble abode we began asking about this missing girl."When did you see her last?" Enola questioned. " She disappeared a week ago. Everyone says she's run away, but Sarah wouldn't do that, not to me. She's my only family now." Bess looked down while I frowned. I looked around and fell behind slightly. " This way." Noticing me looking around Bess told me "The other girls are still at work. Tea?'' It was quite cold outside, persuading me to say yes.  "Thank you. Might I see her bedroom?" I asked as she began to boil water for the tea. " Ours, you mean? You're standing in it. We're lucky. Most girls here are five to a room." I nodded and shivered, it really was cold. " This might help.'' Bess offered me and Enola a cup of tea. As me and Enola examined the room a mouse scurried by Enola's feet. Enola yelps. " Oh. Sarah likes to leave cheese out for 'em. She's soft." Bess chuckles. " What does she look like, Sarah?" Enola asked. " About this tall. Pretty. Very pretty. Green eyes, red hair, freckles..." I wrote everything down until I got to red hair. Did I miss hear her? "Red hair?" I asked to clarify.  "We weren't sisters in the usual way." I nodded.

'Found sisters. Sarah took her in. Who's this, Bess?" I turned to see a pretty young girl with sun kissed skin and black brown hair pulled into a bun.  "Enola Holmes and Victoria Bell they're detectives." bess said cheerfully. " She looks like she'll blow over in the wind." Mae snorted at us. "Mae!" Mae scoffs "So, Bessie, what was Sarah wearing the day she disappeared?" Enola questioned and I followed with " What's she doing?"  " She's wasting her time." Mae responded "Shh." bessie shushed the girl. "It was her other dress, the green one." I smiled at Bessie. " Does she like reading?" I asked as my eye saw the array of books. " Oh yes. She taught herself. Sarah said you had to learn about the world if you're gonna live in it." Enola and I chuckled. " Makeup. Did she have a suitor?" I asked. "Nah. But there's plenty have taken an interest." The girl caught us looking at the 2 plants on a dresser. "She weren't much of a gardener." " Look, how about you quit sniffing round?" Mae said getting annoyed.  " Quiet, Mae! Just let them do there job." I found a small piece of paper in a coal bin by the fire. i handed it to Enola as I kept inspecting.  Enola blows " The 12th of March. Does that date mean anything to you?" Enola asked. "That's enough. We don't need help from people like you." Mae growed at us. " I found her, so she's staying. " Bessie retaliated. I smirked at Mae "Bloody girls poking their nose in.'' mae said and left. Enola chuckles. " And she didn't leave a note?" Enola clarified. "Just this. She worked two jobs, you see. We couldn't get by without it. Washed glasses at a pub. Some place called The Stag Antlers. You can have it." She said as she fished some money from her pocket. "Oh. No, it's all right. We'll figure that out later. So tell me, when was the last time you saw her?'' Enola said turning down the girl and getting back on topic. " A week ago, at the match factory. She had a fight with Mr. Crouch, the foreman, in his office." I shared a questioning look with Enola while saying " What about?" " He said she was thieving. But Sarah's honest." I nodded. " The match factory, is that where she works?" I asked as I continued writing this down. " Where we all work. We're match girls, ain't we?" She corrected playfully. " Then that's where we'll start." Enola and me declared at the same time. " So you'll take it? You'll take the case?'' We both nodded.  Thank you, Miss Holmes and Miss Bell, Thank you.''

we told Bessie we'd meet her back here tomorrow to start and walked out to finish packing up our old home.  

 " At last, my first case. Well, actually, my second. I shall find you, Sarah Chapman. Red hair, green dress, makeup, science books, 12th March. Whatever you've been up to..." A train  whistle blows as we walk, "...the game is afoot." She declared to me.

A/N

thanks so much for reading in the next chapter we will start her case officially. Enjoy!