match Girls pt. 2

[ the photo is Vickys match girl outfit ;]

Enola and Vicky found match girl looking clothes and scurried off to meet Bessie. Soon they were met with Bessie and headed to work. "Stay with me. Follow my way.'' " How many girls work here?" I asked.  "Five hundred, maybe six." bessie concluded.  Enola turned to us " How do I look? Is my neckerchief all right?"  "Oh, well, it's around your neck." I told her. "Morning, Bessie." One of the match girls greeted. " Morning, Doris." There was a man checking the girls mouthes. " Mouth. Mouth. Mouth.  Come on. Next. Out." He told one of the girls. " Please, Mr. Crouch." She pleaded to him. " I said, out. Mouth." me and Enola watched as she walked past. One of her cheeks was very swollen. " What are you looking at?" She snapped. 

" Oi, new girls. Name in the register." me and Enola put our names down. "Mouth." " What are you looking for?" Enola asked mr. Crouch. " Typhus."  As we entered the match factory we heard the machinery creaks, and felt the gloominess of this place. However, Bess was a light in the dark, waiting to become a beacon. Bessie led us around. "That's the phosphorus. Don't worry, you get used to the smell." " Is this where she worked?" I asked. She nodded and explained how to do it. " Put the matches on the comb... slide 'em along, up and into the box. Simple enough. You try." I tried and failed. I frowned as the matches clatter to the floor.

 A stick thuds right by my hand making me and Enola jump. " That is a penny off your wages."  "She's just learning the way, Mr. Crouch.'' bessie told the man. " She better learn quicker, or it's a penny off yours too. Anyone else want a money dock? How about you, eh? No, didn't think so. Right, back to work." Mr. Crouch told the girls.

'' I need to get up into that office." I told Enola and Bessie. Bessie chuckles. " Not a hope." "No talking." crouch said behind me. My mind drifted to Eudorias lesson. " All it takes is one small thing to change the rules of the world." I ran behind a cart and shushed the girl. I pushed Mr. Crouches staff into a box full of boxes of matches. " Oi. Faster fingers, faster fingers." The matches catter about as metal banging is heard as-well.  "Hurrah!" Eudoria exclaimed. " How did that bloody happen, eh? Well, pick 'em up. Oi, pick 'em up. Pick 'em up, pick 'em up." i entered the office as Crouch said "Right! Back to work." " Why were you here?' I whispered to myself.  "Come on, girls." Crouches yelling was a timer. I cracked the safe and looked through the papers quickly until finding a strand of hair in the rubble of ripped out pages. "Red." I declared after further examination. " Time's a-wasting. Don't you look at me like that, girl." Crouch raised his voice at another girl. I sigh. I hear workers speaking indistinctly. " Oi, stop talking!"  I gasp!  "Green eyes, red hair.  So you did steal something." I whispered. I heard a mans voice in another room.

 "Charles! This is not what I was expecting when we made our arrangement. This is blatant extortion. Criminal! My pockets are empty."

'' You think mine full? You gave me your word you'd find whoever was doing this to us."

"You sound almost threatening, Mr. Lyon."

"This is not what I expected when we began our arrangement. And now theft, on top of everything else."

" You heard the man. Get this dealt with."

 "Come along, William."

Soon I heard a woman's voice as-well. "Sir, do you have any suspicions as to who this perpetrator might be?" " Would I be asking you if I did?'' One of the men responded. " But, sir, perhaps if we were to consider whether this theft is connected. I have ideas...'' The lady was trying to help. ' Did I ask for your advice? Or did I simply tell you to get it done?" The man sounded almost offended that she was talking to him.  "I'll make sure the right people know, sir." 

" Our ladies are working at the highest level of production and efficiency. Are they not, William?" ''Yes, Father."  " Please, if you will... Doris, how are you? How's your sister? Is she, um, still unwell?" Doris seemed hurt by this statement. "Uh, yes, Mr. Lyon.'' he nodded. " Typhus. Really is the plague of our time. Two years it's been killing these girls. Breaks my heart. Well, Lord McIntyre, if I might suggest a little lunch. I think we've earned it." 

"How did Sarah do it? Get into the office?'' Enola asked now that Vicky had returned.  ''There was a fire at one of the stations. Foreman got distracted." " Whose station?" I asked rhetorically.  "Mae's?" Enola answered for me. " Yes. You're a good detective, Enola Holmes."