Because of Her

ZAYD ALI

I sat at my desk, surrounded by stacks of papers and the soft clicks of my keyboard. I was deep into my work, preparing for an important meeting scheduled in the next fifteen minutes. My desk was organized chaos, with files neatly arranged but many, signifying the weight of the tasks at hand.

I discuss the final details with my manager, Mr. Smith, a seasoned professional with a sharp eye for detail. We reviewed a proposal for a major client, a project that could significantly boost our company's profile. I had been waiting for this meeting for too long.

"Zayd, we need to make sure all these points are covered," Mr. Smith said, pointing at the presentation slides on my screen. "The client is very particular about these details."

"Of course, Mr. Smith. I'll ensure everything is in place," I replied, my voice calm but focused. I took a deep breath, my mind momentarily drifting to thoughts of Noori. Her laughter, her courage, and her gentle spirit always brought a sense of peace and strength.

As I finished reviewing the last slide, I felt a buzz in my pocket. It was my phone. Glancing at the screen, I saw Noori's father's name. My heart skipped a beat; it was unusual for Mr. Ahmed to call me during work hours.

"Excuse me, Mr. Smith. I need to take this call," I said, stepping out of my office.

"Of course, Zayd. We'll continue in a few minutes," Mr. Smith nodded.

I answered the call, my voice steady but curious. "Assalamu Alaikum, Abbu. Is everything alright?"

There was a brief silence on the other end before Abbu's voice, strained with the sound of sobs, broke through. "Zayd, Noori is missing. She was gone this morning to her friend, Sarah, who said she was going to receive feedback on some new work, and we haven't been able to find her."

Noori is missing?

My heart raced, my breath catching in my throat. "What do you mean she's missing? Have you called the police? Have they talked to Sarah?" I'm overflowing with questions and concerns.

"We've done everything we can. The police are looking, but there's no sign of her. Zayd, we need you here." His voice shivered.

"I'll be there right away," I promised, my mind swirling with doubts. I hung up, my thoughts a whirlwind of fear and determination. The meeting, the work—all of it faded into the background. Noori was all that mattered now.

Back in the office, I quickly informed Mr. Smith about the emergency. "I'm sorry, but I have to leave. There's a family emergency. I can't attend the meeting."

Mr. Smith, seeing the urgency and distress in my eyes, nodded understandingly. "Go, Zayd. Take care of your family. We'll manage here."

I left the office, my steps quickening as I reached the car. I needed to get to Noori's house as fast as possible. As I drove, I prayed for the strength and mercy of My Lord, my voice trembling with emotion.

"Ya Allah, please protect Noori. Keep her safe and bring her back to us. I can't bear to lose her. She's everything to me. Please, Ya Allah, grant us your mercy."

I arrived at Noori's house, finding Abbu and several family members huddled together, their faces sketched with worry. The police were there, discussing the situation.

"Zayd, thank God you're here," Abbu said, his voice breaking. He ran towards me for a hug.

"D-Do you r-..." I stop for a moment to control my tears, "Do you remember when sh-she left?"

He looked at the clock on the wall across us. "She left at noon."

I looked to where he was and found the clock. It was 4:00 p.m. now. She's been gone for 4 hours.

"We'll find her, Abbu," I said with a determined look. "We won't stop until she's safe."

Without thinking, I joined the search efforts, coordinating with the police and reaching out to everyone who might have any information. As the hours passed, my heart ached with the weight of uncertainty, but my resolve never let go of me.

Every moment without Noori was agony, but my faith kept me grounded. I continued to make dua, trusting that Allah would guide us through this darkness and bring Noori back home safely.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

That night, as I stood alone in the quiet of the house, I raised my hands once more in prayer, for the love of my life. "Ya Allah, give me the strength to find her. Protect Noori, and let her feel our love and our hope. Guide us to her, Ya Allah. Please."

Tears streamed down my face as I made dua, my heart pouring out all its fears and hopes. The thought of Noori in danger was unbearable.

She was the light in my life, the person who had brought me so much joy and purpose, after years. After years, I had smiled because of her stupid stutters. Because of her beauty. Because of her soft heart. Because of her silence, she listened to me. Because she was the Mini-Moon in my eyes. Because of her anger when someone said they'd take me away from her. All of it. I want all of it back. Right now, right here.

With that, I knew I would do whatever it took to bring Noori back, no matter the cost. My love for her was unyielding, and I would never stop fighting for her. Never after she told me to.