One - Heidi

Heidi

"Alright, that's it for today," I muttered to myself as I finally cleared my desk, the last file neatly stacked with the others. The day had been long, and I could feel the strain in my muscles as I stretched, trying to shake off the fatigue that clung to me. Being a therapist was rewarding, but it often left little time for rest. Each day brought its own set of challenges, stories, and emotions, and while it was exhausting, it was also relaxing.

I headed to the fridge in the corner of my office and grabbed a bottle of water, taking a long sip as I allowed myself a moment of quiet. I’d been working at Joy Clinic for two years now, and it had truly become my second home. Even though I graduated from college almost four years ago, it wasn’t until I turned twenty-five that I landed a stable position. Finding my footing in the professional world hadn’t been easy, but when I was offered the job at Joy Clinic, everything fell into place.

A knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts, and I turned to see Ellie, my assistant, peeking through the large white door with a cheerful smile on her face.

"Ready to clock out?" she asked.

"Always ready," I replied with a grin, quickly shrugging off my lab coat and hanging it up. Today, I’d chosen a red suit with wide-legged pants—a favourite of mine. It was sharp, professional, and added a pop of colour to my day. Not to boast, but this clinic paid exceptionally well, and with the recent influx of patients, the extra hours meant even more in bonuses. My financial situation was comfortable; I came from a well-off family, and I didn’t have to worry about money. I was the second of three sisters, and we had all grown up with everything we needed.

My father had moved from China to America when he was in his twenties, chasing opportunities in a new world. He met my mother, who was serving as a nurse in the American army, and their love story blossomed quickly. A few years later, they started a family together, raising us in a blend of cultures that shaped who we are today.

As Ellie and I stepped into the elevator, I asked, "Where’s Xena?" I hadn’t seen her all day, which was unusual.

"Her husband couldn’t pick up the kids in time, so she left earlier," Ellie explained.

"Damn, Xena's really making this marriage thing look tough," I commented, shaking my head with a smile.

Ellie laughed, nodding in agreement. "I know, right? Having two kids in less than two years is quite a feat."

"Not to mention how late they both have to work," I added as we walked out of the clinic, exchanging friendly greetings with the security staff on our way out.

"It's still early. What do you want to do?" I asked Ellie, thinking we might catch dinner or a movie. But just as I finished speaking, her phone rang, and she stepped aside to take the call. I watched as her expression changed from curiosity to annoyance.

"Sorry, Heidi," she said, slipping her phone back into her bag. "My landlord just called. One of my neighbours messed with the power system again!" Her tone was exasperated, and I couldn’t help but giggle.
"Alright, go handle that. I’ll see you tomorrow," I told her, giving her a reassuring smile.

"Thanks," she said, hugging me before heading off in the opposite direction. Ellie was a gem—a year older than me, but always full of energy and kindness. She had been a tremendous help since I started at the clinic, and her friendly, approachable nature made her a joy to work with.

Xena, on the other hand, was a bit older—three years my senior—and was someone I looked up to. She was not only a colleague but also a friend, the kind of person you could turn to when you were dealing with something big. Her life experience and wisdom were invaluable, and I often found myself leaning on her when things got tough.