Eleven - It's Not Love

"You're going to regret dating him," I said, standing up.

"Did you two fight because of me? Seriously?" she shot back, standing up as well.

"Why do you keep interfering in my life, Nate?" she asked, her voice rising. "Why does it bother you so much that I'm dating Calvin?"

I didn’t have an answer, so I headed for the door, but she grabbed my hand, forcing me to face her.

"I asked you a question," she said angrily.

"I know Calvin. I've known him since we were sixteen, and I know what he's capable of. He’s going to hurt you! You don’t know what you’re getting into," I warned, but she folded her arms.

"Maybe I do. Has it ever occurred to you that I may have signed up for this? Do I seem like I'm being forced to be with him?" she challenged, raising an eyebrow. "He's better than you think!"

"Think you're clever? Fine. When he ruins you, just make sure it doesn't affect your work!" I snapped, and she slapped me, breathing heavily.

"Don't talk to me like that! And stop interfering, or I might get the wrong idea!" she shouted. In a flash, I had her pinned against the wall, my hands on either side of her head.
"What are you doing?" she stammered, her cheeks flushed.

"I don't want to see you cry later. You're a good woman. But fine, I'll stop meddling. Have fun," I whispered before walking out of her office.

I told myself it was none of my business if Calvin hurt her—I’d done my part by warning her. But I couldn’t shake the unease. She wouldn’t leave my thoughts, even as I tried to sleep, memories of our session replaying in my mind.

The next day at work, I was distracted, and Lawrence noticed.

"Boss, you've been staring at that file for thirty minutes," he pointed out.

"What's wrong with me?" I muttered, checking my temperature.

Why can’t I stop thinking about her? Why do I feel a spark whenever she comes to mind?

Oh no.

"Lawrence, can I ask you something?" I said, leaning back in my chair.

"Yes, sir," he replied, standing at attention.

"When you can’t stop thinking about a woman, and it feels like time slows down whenever you’re with her. You feel...tingly around her, and you catch yourself daydreaming about her constantly. What does that mean?" I asked, watching his reaction closely.

"Oh, and her smile makes your heart skip a beat," I added, just to be sure.

Lawrence gave me a knowing look. "It means you’re in love, sir. Everyone knows that."

"Pfft, love? Don’t be ridiculous, Lawrence. Have you been watching those romance soap operas again?" I teased, trying to deflect, but he didn’t flinch.

"I’m not joking, sir, and no, I’ve been watching action thrillers, thank you. But have you finally fallen for Madam?" he asked, referring to Jacqueline, clapping his hands in excitement.

I exhaled, feeling uncomfortable. "You’re excused, Lawrence," I muttered, waving him off. He left with a smirk, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

"Me? In love? With Heidi? No way," I said, shaking my head. But the thought lingered, so I pulled out my phone and searched for symptoms of love. I stared at the list in disbelief—everything matched what I was feeling.

"You’ve got to be kidding me," I whispered, putting the phone down. "I’m not in love with her. I’m married!" I said aloud, trying to push the thoughts of Heidi away.