Four - Unexpected Patient

"Does the prince not have a name?" I asked, as he reached into his suit jacket.

"Calvin Wyatt," he replied.

"Well, Mr. Calvin, it was nice literally running into you," I said, gesturing towards our slightly collided cars.

"A pleasure indeed. See you around, Ms. Heidi," he winked before getting into his car and driving away.

"He's so dreamy," I muttered to myself, climbing into my Kia and heading home.

"So, you're telling me Zack got a girl who's barely twenty pregnant?" I asked Leanna over Skype.

"Seriously, I was shocked when I saw how big her belly was," Leanna said, brushing her afro.

"Shouldn't we report him or something? Is that even legal?" she asked, making me laugh.

"Totally legal," I replied.

"Are you okay, though? You really loved him. Why date someone for four years and not get a ring?" she asked, and I rolled my eyes.

"I met him in my senior year of college, remember?" I reminded her.

"Whatever," she shrugged.

"So, anything exciting happen today?" she asked, and my mind wandered to the odd couple I encountered and the mysterious man I’d met. 

"Yeah, there was this strange couple at work, but more interestingly, I met someone," I said, watching her eyes light up. 

"Spill it, spill it!" she squealed. 

"While we were on the phone, I had a small fender-bender with a Benz, and this hot guy stepped out." 

"Picture this: 6'2, brunette, perfectly tanned skin, and he smelled like chocolate musk." 

"So dreamy, and his suit was definitely designer." 

"And his voice? So smooth," I told her, causing her to squeal even more. 

"What's his name?" she asked.

"Calvin. He owns a manufacturing company, though I didn’t catch the name. We exchanged business cards," I added.

"So, are you thinking about starting something with him?" she asked, but honestly, I was unsure. 

I’d just come out of a four-year relationship that ended badly, and recently found out Zack was expecting a child with the younger girl he left me for. I wasn't sure if I had fully healed or was ready to dive into something new. 

"Nah, I don't think I'm ready. I went through so much because of Zack, and you, of all people, know that. Maybe in the future, but not now. I wouldn't mind being friends with Calvin, though," I said, noticing the look in her eyes. 

"What?"

"Nothing, nothing at all," she replied innocently. 

"Leanna," I warned. 

"I didn’t say anything, Heidi," she said, raising her hands in mock surrender. "Anyway, I’ve gotta go—my mom’s calling," she said. 

"See you later," I waved goodbye as she signed off.

After dinner, I took a shower and changed into my pyjamas before settling into bed. I held Calvin's business card, running my fingers over the luxurious texture, which was far superior to my own.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked up his company and discovered it was a multimillion-dollar enterprise—Calvin owned it all. He was wealthy, had everything anyone could want, yet there was no sign of a woman in his life. 

Soon, I drifted off to sleep after setting my phone down, and it was a much-needed rest. Two days later at work, my supervisor called me over, and I couldn’t help but wonder what he wanted this time. 

"Heidi! Good to see you today," he greeted me. 

"You too, sir.”

"You have VIP patients on your list, are you aware of that?" he asked, leaving me puzzled. 

"VIP? Who?"
"Mr. and Mrs. Hendrix. They’re a power couple—Mrs. Hendrix is the daughter of Samuel Orlando, owner of Sam&Oh, and Mr. Hendrix is the son of Jake Hendrix, owner of Goodwill Hotels.These aren’t your average patients, Heidi. One word from them, and this clinic could be shut down. Not to mention the donations they’ve been making to us. Their two companies have only grown stronger since their children got married, and that marriage cannot fall apart. So, being a good friend of Mr. Samuel, I vouched for you. I told them you were already a marriage counsellor, not just a regular psychologist," Dr. Ivan said, leaving me completely stunned. 

"So, you're saying all of this is because of them?" I asked, and he nodded. 

"They don’t just go anywhere, and they wouldn’t settle for a regular psychologist unless you were a marriage counsellor. And we both know you work better with families, so it’s a win-win," Dr. Ivan said. 

I could only sigh in response.
"I mean, I'm not complaining, but... I don't know if I'm up for this," I admitted to him. 

"You're doing great, Heidi. Mrs. Jacqueline even praised you yesterday, and she's eager to come back next week," Dr. Ivan reassured me.

"Really?" I asked, a little surprised.

He nodded. "Just keep doing what you're doing. You'll be fine."

"Thank you, Dr. Ivan," I said before heading out, feeling slightly more confident.

This can’t go wrong, right?

"Dr. Heidi, you have an unscheduled patient," my assistant announced. 

"Really?" I asked, glancing at the time. It was already half-past three, and I didn’t have any more appointments. 

"Couldn't you decline?" I asked, hoping to avoid any last-minute surprises. 

"No, ma'am, sorry," she replied with an apologetic look. 

I sighed. "Alright, send them in." 

"It's not a them," she corrected, glancing toward the door. 

"What?" I asked, confused. "It's a what?" But before I could ask more, the door opened, and in walked Mr. Calvin—alone.

"Hello, Dr. Heidi," he greeted me in a smooth, seductive voice.