Fourteen - Make-out Session

"Take a seat, Mr. Hendrix," I instructed. He sat down, his movements slow and deliberate.

"So, you and Calvin seem to be hitting it off pretty well," he muttered in a low, grumpy whisper, his words dripping with bitterness.

"Please, Mr. Hendrix, this is a consultation. Let’s stay professional," I said, but he scoffed.

"Forget the consultation," he snapped, leaning forward slightly. His dark gaze pierced through me. "You know why I'm here."

"No, I don’t know, and unless you have something serious to say, I suggest you leave," I said, my voice rising as frustration bubbled to the surface. I didn’t want to deal with his games today.

He stood up abruptly, his chest heaving with every breath. He looked at me with an intensity that sent a shiver down my spine, his gaze burning holes into my skin, but I forced myself to stay composed, refusing to back down.

"You want to know my symptoms?" His voice was a low, angry growl now. "Fine, I'll tell you."

I held my breath, feeling my heart thudding against my chest.

"I've fallen in love," he confessed.
My throat tightened, but I couldn’t speak. His eyes softened, but there was a desperation there, one that terrified me.

"Every night, I see her in my dreams," he continued, his voice filled with a longing so deep it made my chest ache. "I can feel her, touch her, be with her in ways I can’t when I’m awake. Her smile... It's everything to me. I want nothing more than to lay beside her, caress her beautiful face, and just hold her."

His voice cracked, and I saw the pain in his expression. "I die a little more every second I’m not near her. I think about her constantly, wondering what she’s doing, if she’s okay. And I worry... I worry about her all the time."

I swallowed, trying to control the overwhelming emotions rising inside me. I couldn’t look at him, not after what he’d said, not after seeing the torment in his eyes.

"That’s a good thing, isn’t it?" I whispered, my voice trembling as I fought back the tears welling up in my eyes. "You don’t need therapy anymore, not if you’ve fallen in love."

I could feel my heart shattering with every beat, and the tears I had tried so hard to hold back began to spill over slightly.

"If you love your wife now, maybe you can finally experience Eros love," I said, forcing a smile that didn’t reach my eyes. "She mentioned you both were thinking about expanding your family." The words left my mouth, but inside, my heart was shattering, every beat aching with a heavy weight. I tried to sound happy for him, for them, but my voice betrayed me.

"Is that all you have to say?" he asked, his voice laced with frustration. "You're happy for us? I can finally experience Eros love?" His tone was bitter, angry, and it caught me off guard.

Before I could respond, he strode toward me with purposeful steps. I stood up, backing away from him until my back hit the wall, trapping me. He stopped just inches away, towering over me, his breath warm against my skin.

"And what if I said it's not her I'm in love with?" His voice was deep, the sound of it sending shivers through me. He reached up and gently caressed my cheek, his touch sending a rush of heat through my body, sparks igniting wherever his fingers brushed my skin. His eyes were dark, dilated, and filled with a hunger that made my knees weak.

My heart pounded in my chest, so loud I was sure he could hear it. But then, I realised—I could hear his heart too. It was racing, beating in time with mine. Without thinking, I placed my hand on his chest, feeling the steady, powerful thump beneath my fingers. He covered my hand with his, and the warmth of his touch only intensified the electricity between us.

"I love the sound," I whispered, unable to tear my eyes away from him. He smiled softly, his gaze softening for just a moment, before he wrapped one arm around my waist, pulling me closer. I gulped, the intensity between us making it hard to think, let alone breathe.

We stood there, staring at each other, the space between us shrinking until it felt like the air had disappeared. My cheeks burned, and when I couldn’t handle the weight of his gaze any longer, I looked away, embarrassed.

"Look at me, Heidi," he whispered, his voice soft but commanding. His hand gently turned my face back toward him, his thumb brushing against my skin as he leaned in, his lips just inches from mine.

My mind screamed at me to move, to say something, but my heart betrayed me, pounding wildly as I stood frozen in place, caught between what I knew was right and the undeniable attraction drawing me to him.

"I've never felt this way before," Nathan whispered, his voice filled with care. "I don’t even know what’s happening to me, but I can’t ignore the yearning in my heart. My heart is beating for you, Heidi, and it’s calling out your name."

I gently placed a finger on his lips, silencing him. "Shh, I’m listening to it," I said softly, and his lips curled into a tender smile before he kissed my finger. He took my hand, intertwining our fingers, the warmth of his touch sending a wave of emotion through me.

"I found my Psyche," he murmured, his voice low and filled with affection.

"You’re really cheeky," I teased, and he responded with that familiar, playful smile.

For that brief moment, nothing else existed—just the two of us. The world outside faded away, and it was as if we were free, lost in the connection we’d found. And then, it hit me. I wasn’t confused anymore. I was developing feelings for him, and though I knew it was wrong, it didn’t feel wrong, and when Nathan leaned in to kiss me, I didn’t resist.

He pulled away slightly, brushing a strand of hair behind my ear as he gazed at me with such intensity.

"You’re beautiful," he whispered, his finger tracing the curve of my jaw. "So dazzling."

Before I could say anything, there was a knock on the door. "Ms. Heidi, it's time to leave work now," Charlie called from the other side.

We both froze, and I quickly responded, "I’ll meet you downstairs!"

"Okay," she replied, her footsteps fading away. As soon as she was gone, Nathan and I burst into laughter, the tension melting away for a moment.

"You’ve got lipstick on your face," I giggled, grabbing a wet tissue to clean the smudge. "There," I said, smoothing it out before he playfully patted my hair.

"I’ll see you soon," he whispered, leaning in to kiss my cheek one last time.

"Bye," I whispered back, watching him leave the office. Just before stepping out, he glanced at me, a smile forming on his lips.

As soon as the door closed behind him, reality hit me like a wave. "Okay, what just happened?" I muttered to myself. I touched my lips, the taste of the moment still lingering. "Did I just make out with my patient?"