Breaking down the walls

Y/n stomped down the hallway of BigHit Entertainment, frustration bubbling under the surface. Ever since she was assigned as the new choreographer for BTS, one member had made her life particularly difficult: Jung Hoseok. Known as j-hope to fans worldwide, Hoseok was a perfectionist, and nothing she suggested seemed to please him. The tension between them was palpable, and it didn't help that she was an outsider, a foreigner trying to find her place in their tightly knit world.

Today was no different. She had barely entered the practice room when Hoseok's sharp eyes locked onto her, his expression immediately hardening.

"You're late," he remarked coldly, crossing his arms over his chest.

Y/n glanced at her watch and saw she was precisely on time. "It's exactly 10 AM. Maybe you should get your watch fixed."

A muscle ticked in Hoseok's jaw. "The rest of us have been here since 9:30."

"Well, I wasn't informed of an early start," she shot back, trying to keep her tone even. "Let's get to work."

The other members shifted uncomfortably, sensing the brewing storm. Namjoon, always the mediator, stepped in. "Alright, let's focus on the choreography. Y/n, what do you have for us today?"

Y/n took a deep breath, suppressing her irritation, and started to explain the new routine she had come up with. As she demonstrated the moves, she could feel Hoseok's critical eyes on her, analyzing every step.

"That's not going to work," he interrupted after a few minutes, his tone dripping with disdain.

She turned to him, eyebrows raised. "Excuse me?"

"It's too complicated. The transitions are too abrupt, and it doesn't match the music's feel. We need something smoother, more dynamic."

"Are you saying you can't handle it?" she retorted, unable to hold back.

Hoseok's eyes flashed with anger. "I'm saying it's poorly designed."

The room fell silent, tension crackling in the air. Y/n's face flushed with a mix of embarrassment and anger. She was about to respond when Jin, ever the peacemaker, stepped forward.

"Why don't we give it a try first? Maybe we can make adjustments after," he suggested diplomatically.

Y/n nodded tightly, stepping back to let the group take their positions. She watched as they moved through her choreography, noticing the slight hesitations and the way Hoseok's movements seemed intentionally exaggerated, almost mocking. It was infuriating.

After an hour of tense practice, Namjoon called for a break. Y/n left the room, needing to cool off. She found a quiet corner in the building and leaned against the wall, closing her eyes and taking deep breaths.

"Hey."

She opened her eyes to see Hoseok standing there, his expression unreadable.

"What do you want?" she snapped, the earlier confrontation still fresh in her mind.

"Can we talk?" he asked, his tone surprisingly soft.

"About what? How am I apparently terrible at my job?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "That's not what I meant. Look, I know I've been hard on you, but this is important to me. To all of us. I want us to be the best we can be, and sometimes I... I guess I get carried away."

Y/n crossed her arms, still wary. "You think?"

Hoseok's lips quirked up in a small smile. "Yeah. I'm sorry. Can we start over?"

She studied him for a moment, seeing a sincerity in his eyes that she hadn't noticed before. Maybe there was more to him than the demanding perfectionist she had come to know.