Chapter 27

Brooks's POV 

It would have been much easier to ignore Sydney if she didn't fucking radiate beauty like the goddamn sun. She had her hair pinned back in some curly low bun thing, her round cheeks had a sunkissed glow from the summer warmth, and the dress she wore melted into her curves. It was a slate blue, that showed off her soft cleavage and lit up her eyes. There was a slit that worked its way up her thigh, that practically begged me to peel it off of her.

Jesus, I needed to get laid but the only woman I had any interest in taking to bed I was currently pissed at...it was official she was going to be the death of me. A slow painful, torturous death.

She tried endlessly to grab my attention but I avoided her gaze no matter how hard it was, I was afraid that if I looked her in the eyes I wouldn't be able to stop myself from crashing my lips against her and staking my claim. So I did my best to stay neutral. I kept close to my Mom, answered Layla's every whim, and gathered enough strength to be in the same room as her for the next hour until I could make my way to the bar and drown my confusion in a few whiskeys. 

As the rehearsal started I was instructed to go first by walking my Mom down the aisle, I felt stiff and uncomfortable with everyone's eyes on me despite the fact there were only about fifteen other people in the room. Kelsey and Layla wanted to keep things pretty small, so it was only family, Quinn and Sydney plus the wedding coordinator who was furiously checking the iPad in her hand as she pointed and directed us all. 

I straightened my tie as we stood at the back of the rows of white chairs for the ceremony and waited for the go-ahead to make our way down the short path toward the pergola. It was covered in ivory flowers and dripped with greenery and lights.

 It really was perfect and only made my chest ache at how badly I wanted it to be me making this walk Someday...but with the only girl I'd ever truly promised my heart to...if only she would have me...and if only she weren't here with my oldest friend...you don't know that for sure. The sensible part of my brain chimed in. 

Well, I don't not, know it, so I'm going to be pissed until I do. My internal dialogue must be written all over my face because the wedding coordinator walked up next to my Mom and me as we prepared to walk and whispered, "Smiles, not scowls," before motioning for us to go as soft music played in the background and I swear I heard Sydney fucking giggle from behind me. 

It made all my muscles tense as I let out a staggered breath, escorted my Mom to her seat, and turned to make my way back to the end of the aisle, as if my eyes had a mind of their own they latched onto Sydney's as she stood waiting for her turn to walk. It took my breath and I nearly stumbled over my feet as we were caught up in each other's gaze. Time slowed, my pulse quickened and my lips parted as if they wanted to confess their love right here in the middle of this rehearsal. I could read her body like my favorite book and I knew she was just as affected, by the way she swallowed hard, her eyes took me in as if they were an addict and I was their favorite drug. It wasn't until Quinn cleared her throat, with her arms crossed at her chest, and tossed me a stern look from behind where Sydney stood that I snapped out of whatever trance she had put me under. 

I walked past Sydney and took in a quick breath of her scent, the way my nostrils filled with roses made all the blood in my body flow south and it took all my self-control to keep from embarrassing myself here in this hotel garden. 

As she made her descent down the aisle I took the opportunity to take her in without her knowing. I watched intimately the way her hips swayed with every step until my sister rudely interrupted my moment. "You're drooling," Layla chuckled and I scowled at her as I scratched my eyebrow with my middle finger and she elbowed me in the ribs. "Ow," I let out louder than intended as Sydney's eyes met mine with a smile from the opposite end of the aisle. I pulled away quicker this time, not wanting to get caught up in her again, and refocused myself on the task ahead.