53.

Author's narrative

Florence, Italy (10:30p.m.)

In the hushed silence of the peaceful night, moonlight entered a dark room, casting a soft glow inside. Amayra was sitting on the desk by the window with glasses perched on the bridge of her nose, looking down at the papers in her hands.

She looked at the curves and floral patterns, the intricately drawn designs that shaped beautiful jewelry pieces. With a soft sigh, she clutched the cardigan that covered her body tighter and leaned down on the desk by crossing her arms and placing her head on the top of them.

Various thoughts ran through her mind before settling on the very familiar topic she thought about. Her gaze was drawn towards the few frames hung on the wall before her and a faint smile came across her lips.

She looked at her twelve year old self kissing her father's cheeks as he had her lifted in his arms with a loving smile on his face. A tear fell down her eye as her face contorted with pain. She shifted her gaze, only to lean down further and hide her face on her arms which were placed on the desk.

The second picture was of her sitting on her eldest brother's lap with him back hugging her. She was looking up at him with a soft pout while he stared back down with a stern face. She remembers vividly wanting to have some more chocolates and him denying her strictly.

She wiped her tears before looking at the third frame. She was smiling heartily and Abhimanyu had her in his arms with a soft smile of his own while kissing her forehead.

When did he change so much? Why?

Why did he do that to her?

Was she just an object of lust for him all along?

Was he really thinking of her that way whenever they were close?

A soft click was heard and the door of the room opened, distracting Amayra from her thoughts. "Are you not asleep yet Myra?" Amayra twisted herself to look back at the person and shook her head lightly. Veer entered the room further and softly urged Amayra to get back to bed.

He covered her with the comforter and then softly sighed when he saw the troubled expression on her face. He took a step back and says, "Get some sleep Myra. Don't think and exhaust yourself." He began to step out of the room.

"Do you think it'll ever be fine?" Veer stopped in his tracks and looked back at the girl before him. "Honestly? I don't know." A bitter smile graced her lips. Veer left after that, leaving her alone with yet another sleepless night.

Mumbai, India (2:00 a.m.)

Inside the dark confines of the cabin which was filled with absolute silence, a man's silhouette was seen. Arhaan went inside, only to see Abhimanyu working on his macbook.

"Bhai?" No response. "What are you doing here up so late? Let's go back, you need to sleep." Arhaan looks at the dark circles present beneath his eyes. "Go back." Arhaan didn't move. "I said something." Abhimanyu finally looks at him.

Arhaan observed him. He had grown a beard, a result of him not caring about his routine and he looked even more stern than eight years ago. He could see his bloodshot eyes and messy hair.