58.

Author's narrative

Sitting on one of the swings of her garden, Amayra was lost in her own world, a few flashbacks here and there, and a lot of uncertainty, fear and somewhere hidden beneath it all, a tinge of remorse. She couldn't help but feel that she did something very wrong, like she wasn't supposed to say whatever she told to him. And it wasn't the guilt of actually saying something, but the feeling that her words are going to have a very negative impact.

"The apple of everyone's eye, Amayra. Am I right?" She looks up at the person, only to tense up a little as she saw Eklavya standing there.

Eklavya Suryavanshi.

"Are you mocking me, Mr. Suryavanshi?" Eklavya slipped his hand inside his pantsuit's pocket, gazing at the garden of beautiful white roses. "Why do you think that Ms. Singhania? I can say that it was, rather, a compliment."

Amayra didn't reply back to him, gazing at the huge water fountain that was present just a few feet away from the swing, as she swung back and forth.

"I thought you guys left?" Eklavya turns to look at her, his gaze falling on her small face, the moonlight seemingly enhancing her features.

"I left something here," he replies, looking at her, whereas her gaze remained fixated at the fountain. "And what's that?" At that moment, Eklavya could actually hear her voice going soft, as if conversing with him wasn't the only thing she was doing right now. Rather, her mind was wandering to places, which certainly weren't pleasant.

"Humara chaen," his lips twitched a little as she frowned, clearly not being able to hear his whispered words. He was not able to comprehend why he was so intrigued by her. He was surprised he hasn't gone insane with the number of times he had thought about her in just a few hours.

But he knew if he stayed around her, anywhere around her, he surely will.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing." He could feel her frown deepen a little, but her expression went calm, and he could see that she drifted into her thoughts again.

"Are you ignoring me Miss Singhania?" Amayra looked at him and he could bet on his life that he saw a tinge of remorse for something in her gaze before it vanished. Something told him that this remorse wasn't for him but for a completely different reason.

"I'm not, I'm just thinking about something."

"Someone?" It was a statement, not a question. Amayra, again, didn't reply. "Where's everyone, by the way?" She changed the topic, however she saw his expressionless face turn a little perplexed.

"Don't you know?" Amayra frowned at that, "Know what?" Eklavya's expression turned grim as he spoke, "Mr. Singhania had a heart attack. Everyone's at the hospital to visit him." She froze, before jumping from her seat. "Papa?" Eklavya raised an eyebrow, "No, Abhimanyu Sir."

Heart attack?

At that moment, her mind stopped working as her mind was running million miles a second, overwhelming her. Yes, she hated him. She didn't want to see him. But he was still her brother. She could never shake off the image of that brother who eliminated everything that stood on her way, that cared for her, that loved her.

Her eyes were turning glassy before she looked up at Eklavya and whispered, "Can you please take me to him?" He couldn't say no to that face. He could never say no to that face.

"Come," he says before turning around and walking away. Half an hour later, Amayra was inside the same hospital, the hospital where she was when she tried to commit suicide at the age of 12, followed shortly by her rape incident.