Chanakya

Vishnugupta Chanakya stood,watching Ashoka train. He had picked Ashoka,the abandoned son of Bindusar as his last disciple. Bindusar had numerous sons. And each,he had tested. But only one could pass through the harsh test. Ashoka.

A king. He must never be weak. No matter what the situation is. If a king breaks. Then the whole state breaks. The respect,dignity and protection of the kingdom lies on the king.

But Chanakya's eyes held sadness. Ashoka. His fate,it was not going to be that easy. But he was VishnuGupta. He had seen the invasion of Alexander,the great. And with the sharp strategy he had stopped the destruction of the Hindu Rastra.

It's said,only ambitious men could move the nation forward. He was a poor Brahmin. But he was ambitious. He wanted to see the whole land of Hindu,under one banner. It was his farsightedness may be. But he knew. Some more people too knew. The dark age was approaching. The coming of Alexander from Greece meant one thing. Borders were not safe. They had to form strong defence from hearon.

His mission had started with Chandragupta. The establishment of Maurya empire,defeating Nandas. Then countless other smaller kingdom. Protecting the kingdom of Mauryas. The weak frail man,in his simple white garb,moved through ages.

May be being a Brahmin gave him the strength. To keep it going. It made his needs small. That made the ruler see his work. Otherwise,crown meant fear. Throne means terror. No matter who it is. Once they wear the crown,something changes in them gradually. It is the burden of fate of countless. The expectation of countless.

So,he had always kept his needs minimum. Just a small cottage called home. And enough to fulfil his basic needs. That was all he needed..

Chandragupta made the Maurya kingdom strong. But Bindusar stabilised it. Throw not doing much. He was quite opposite to his father. But it too had Chanakya's approval. Silent but he accepted it and used it,to make the kingdom strong.

The kings, ministers at times could not even care about the immediate threat. But there were people who were trying to make the inside strong. Strong enough that the Hindu Rastra survives the storms they could see.

He had himself stood quite as the step brothers and mothers of Ashoka made his life a living hell. He watched the young boy loose his innocence. He had to. Because he knew. He won't be there to guide him for long.

He had to instill the values inside Ashoka. His years of experience,his years of knowledge. He was giving it to the child. So that no matter what happens,he would know. Dynasties may fall. But he must never ever give up on the dream. Of this Hindu Rastra.

Standing inside the capital of Maurya kingdom he could feel the swirl of darkness.

Sometimes breaking fate was harsh. To keep this land safe,he had to take risks. And now he had to offer penance.

Ashoka stood,barely teen. Looking at the back of the man,he had come to hate. How cruel he was. He never said a word when he and his mother were insulted. He never said a word when he was almost dead. But somehow that man had given him a dream. A dream or a responsibility,he did not know.

But he had accepted it.

The back of Chanakya was no more visible. There was no one waiting for him. No one was going to bid him goodbye. How long did he walk. He did not know. His feet was bleeding,with the harsh heat of land. His lips were parched.

He sat under a giant tree,to curb his tiredness. Slowly he felt the sun setting.

The story of the character called Kautilya,Chanakya and Vishnugupta was ending. He was not at peace.

There were many more lifetimes to walk. Until that final step.

The next morning he walked towards the river,flowing near. And took steps inside. As it touched his head. He smiled. And let the water embrace him..

One character was over. All that remained was a name. Myth for many. Just a name..