Chapter one

The sun barely peeked through the blinds as my alarm clock blared its familiar tune, pulling me from a dream I couldn't quite remember. Today was special, not because of some school event, but because of what it meant to me. Today was the day when our school held the "Dress as Your Type" event, where students would dress up as their ideal partner. It was silly, sure, but I couldn't shake the anticipation that had settled deep in my chest.

As I got dressed, I carefully picked out an outfit that screamed "cool, artsy girl." A pair of ripped jeans, an oversized flannel, and a beanie that I knew made me look like I didn't care even though I really did. I wanted to look perfect for her-for my best friend, Emma. The idea of her seeing me like this, even if she didn't realize what it meant, filled me with a nervous excitement.

Emma and I had been best friends since middle school. We did everything together-sleepovers, movie marathons. She was my rock, my confidante, and, if I was being honest with myself, my unrequited love. I'd never told her how I felt, partly because I was scared it would ruin everything and partly because I didn't think she could ever see me that way. But today, I let myself dream a little.

When I got to school, the halls were alive with laughter and the sight of students dressed in various getups. Athletes dressed as cheerleaders, nerds dressed as superheroes, and everything in between. I searched the crowd for Emma, my heart pounding with each step.

I found her standing by our lockers, scrolling through her phone. She looked up as I approached, and my breath caught in my throat. She was dressed in an outfit that was all too familiar-a band T-shirt, skinny jeans, and Converse. It was exactly how I would dress on a lazy weekend, a look that screamed me. I felt a jolt of electricity run through me. Could this mean what I thought it did?

"Hey, Lila," she greeted me with her usual bright smile. "You look great! Love the whole artsy vibe you've got going on."

I blushed, hoping she couldn't tell. "Thanks, Em. You look pretty amazing yourself."

She laughed, the sound sending warmth through my veins. "It's funny, isn't it? We ended up dressing like each other's type."

"Yeah, funny," I echoed, my heart in my throat.

We walked to our first class together, chatting about everything and nothing, as we always did. But today, every word, every glance felt charged with a meaning I couldn't quite put into words.

During lunch, we found our usual spot under the big oak tree in the courtyard. I couldn't help but steal glances at her, wondering if she felt the same pull I did. As we sat there, eating and joking, I felt a sudden surge of courage.

"Emma," I began, my voice trembling slightly.

She looked up, her eyes sparkling with curiosity. "Yeah?"

"Do you ever think about...you know, what it would be like if we were more than just friends?" I asked, my heart pounding in my ears.

Her eyes widened slightly, and for a moment, I feared I'd made a terrible mistake. But then, she smiled-a soft, knowing smile that made my heart ache.

"Lila, I've been thinking about it a lot lately," she admitted, her voice just as shaky as mine. "Especially today."

My breath hitched. "Really?"

She nodded, reaching out to take my hand. "I dressed like this for you, Lila. I've been in love with you for a long time. I just didn't know how to tell you."

The world seemed to stop spinning as her words sank in. I felt a wave of relief and joy crash over me, and I squeezed her hand tightly.

"I love you too, Emma," I whispered, my voice breaking with emotion. "I've loved you for so long."