Chapter two

The following days blurred together in a mix of schoolwork, brief encounters with Emma, and late-night dreams that left me feeling both fulfilled and hollow. Each morning, I woke up with the echoes of those dreams, and each day, I tried to bury them deeper.

It wasn’t easy. Seeing Emma with Jake became a regular part of my day. They sat together in classes, walked to lunch together, and spent their afternoons laughing and sharing secrets. I couldn’t help but notice the way she looked at him, the way her eyes sparkled when he made her laugh. It was the same look she used to give me.

One afternoon, I found myself sitting alone under the big oak tree, our usual spot. I picked at the grass, trying to keep my mind from wandering to where Emma might be. I knew she was probably with Jack, and I hated the jealousy that gnawed at me.

“Hey, stranger.” Emma’s voice startled me, and I looked up to see her standing there, a soft smile on her face.

“Hey,” I said, my heart doing its usual flip-flop at the sight of her.

“Mind if I join you?” she asked, already sitting down next to me.

“Of course not,” I replied, trying to sound casual.

We sat in comfortable silence for a few moments, the warm breeze rustling the leaves above us. I wanted to savor this time alone with her, even if it was just a few stolen minutes.

“Jake’s nice, isn’t he?” she said suddenly, breaking the silence.

I nodded, unsure of what to say. “Yeah, he seems like a good guy.”

Emma looked at me, her eyes searching mine. “I’m glad you think so. I want you to like him.”

“I do,” I lied, forcing a smile. “As long as you’re happy, I’m happy.”

She reached out and took my hand, just like in my dreams. “You’re the best, Lila. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

My heart ached at her words, but I squeezed her hand, finding comfort in the small gesture. “You’ll never have to find out,” I promised.

The bell rang, signaling the end of lunch, and we stood up together. As we walked to our next class, I tried to focus on the positives. Emma was still my best friend, and I was determined to be there for her, no matter what.

The weeks went by, and I did my best to balance my feelings with my friendship. Jack became a more regular fixture in our lives, and I tried to get to know him better. He really was a nice guy, and that made it both easier and harder to accept his presence.

One Friday after school, Emma invited me to a small get-together at Jake’s place. She insisted it would be fun, and I couldn’t say no to her. I arrived a little late, feeling awkward as I walked into Jake’s house. The place was buzzing with people, and I spotted Emma and Jake in the kitchen, laughing as they poured drinks.

“Lila! You made it!” Emma exclaimed, pulling me into a hug. The warmth of her embrace made me forget my nerves, if only for a moment.

“Wouldn’t miss it,” I said, smiling as I pulled away.

Jake handed me a soda, and we made small talk for a while. He was genuinely nice, and I could see why Emma liked him. But every time I saw them together, the ache in my chest grew a little stronger.

As the night went on, I found myself drifting away from the crowd, needing a moment to collect myself. I stepped outside onto the back porch, the cool night air a welcome relief.

“Hey,” Emma’s voice came from behind me. I turned to see her closing the door softly, her eyes concerned. “You okay?”

“Yeah, just needed some fresh air,” I replied, leaning against the railing.