chapter six

A year had passed since the day I last saw Emma. Life had taken on a new rhythm, one where the past was a distant memory and the future felt full of possibilities. Moving to the city for college had been the best decision I ever made. The anonymity and fresh start provided a welcome relief from the torment of high school. Here, in the midst of the city’s ceaseless energy, I could finally breathe.

On a sunny Saturday afternoon, I found myself wandering through the city streets, enjoying the rare moment of solitude. I had just left my favorite bookstore, a small bag of new novels swinging at my side. The air was warm, the kind that hinted at summer just around the corner. I decided to stop by a nearby café for an iced coffee, relishing the freedom of a lazy afternoon.

As I turned the corner near the café, I collided with someone, almost dropping my coffee. "Sorry," I muttered, looking up to see who I had bumped into.

To my surprise, it was Emma. She looked different – older, more composed, yet her eyes still held that familiar depth of emotion. “Lila?” Her voice was filled with surprise and something else I couldn’t quite place.

For a moment, we just stood there, the busy city life continuing around us as if we were in a bubble of our own. Finally, Emma broke the silence. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been good,” I managed to say, still processing the shock of seeing her. “College is keeping me busy. How about you?”

Emma smiled, and I saw a warmth in her eyes that I hadn’t seen in a long time. “I’ve been okay. I’m actually in the city now too. Working and taking some classes.”

“Really? That’s great to hear,” I said, trying to keep my tone casual despite the whirlwind of emotions inside me.

We decided to sit at a nearby bench, where the noise of the city felt distant, almost muted. We talked for a while, catching up on the past year. Emma told me about her job at a small marketing firm and the business management classes she was taking. I shared stories about college, the new friends I had made, and how glad I was to be away from our hometown.

As we talked, the conversation began to flow more naturally, the initial awkwardness dissipating. There were moments of laughter, and even a few comfortable silences that felt like old times.

“So, are you still in touch with anyone from high school?” I asked, curious about her life now.

“Not really,” Emma admitted. “I needed a clean break from all that. It was... a rough time.”

I nodded, understanding all too well. “Yeah, same here. It’s been nice to start fresh.”

After a brief pause, Emma took a deep breath, as if steeling herself for something. “Lila, there’s something I need to tell you. I’m not with Jake anymore.”

I blinked, a mix of surprise and relief washing over me. “Oh. I didn’t know. I’m sorry to hear that.”

“It’s okay,” Emma said, her tone surprisingly light. “It was for the best. We weren’t right for each other. I think we both knew it.”

I looked at her, searching her eyes for any hint of lingering pain. Instead, I saw a quiet determination, a strength that hadn’t been there before. “Are you... seeing anyone now?” I asked, not entirely sure I wanted to know the answer.

Emma smiled, a genuine, warm smile that reached her eyes. “Actually, yes. His name is Daniel. He’s really great.”

“Daniel,” I repeated, trying to keep my tone neutral. “Tell me about him.”

Emma’s face lit up as she talked about Daniel. “He’s studying architecture, and he’s so passionate about it. We met at a gallery opening, of all places. He’s kind, funny, and he understands me in ways I didn’t think anyone could.”