Chapter four

The next morning, I woke up with a sense of anticipation bubbling inside me. As I dressed for school, I couldn't shake the memory of the previous night's events. The kiss with Emma, the rush of emotions, it all felt like a dream.

But as I hopped on my bike and pedaled towards school, my excitement turned to apprehension. What would today bring? Would things be different between me and Emma now?

As I rounded the corner to the school gates, my heart skipped a beat at the sight before me. There, in the courtyard, stood Emma, surrounded by Jake and his friends, laughing and chatting animatedly. My heart sank as I watched them, the memory of Emma's kiss still fresh in my mind.

Summoning all my courage, I biked over to where they stood, a knot forming in my stomach. "Hey, Emma," I said, trying to sound casual.

Emma turned to me, her smile bright and cheerful. "Hey, Lila!" she exclaimed, her voice filled with warmth. "Did you have fun at the party last night?"

I felt a pang of hurt at her words, the memory of our kiss burning in the back of my mind. "Um, yeah, it was okay," I replied, forcing a smile. "How about you?"

Emma's smile widened, and she glanced over at Jake, who was watching us with a grin. "It was amazing," she said, her voice tinged with excitement. "Actually, there's something I wanted to tell you..."

My heart clenched at her words, a sinking feeling settling in the pit of my stomach. I knew what was coming, but I couldn't bear to hear it.

Before she could say anything else, the bell rang, signaling the start of the school day. With a heavy heart, I turned and walked away, the weight of Emma's words hanging heavy on my shoulders.

As I made my way to class, the realization slowly dawned on me. Emma and Jake were together now, and nothing would ever be the same again.

Throughout the day, I tried to focus on my classes, but my mind kept wandering back to Emma and Jake. Every time I saw them together, laughing and smiling, it felt like a knife twisting in my heart.

During lunch, I sat alone in the courtyard, pushing around my food with little appetite. I watched as Emma and Jake sat together at their usual spot, oblivious to the turmoil raging inside me.

As the final bell rang, signaling the end of the school day, I gathered my things and made my way to my locker. I tried to avoid seeing Emma and Jake, but as luck would have it, they were standing right in front of me, deep in conversation.

"Hey, Lila!" Emma exclaimed, her voice cheerful as she turned to face me. "Do you want to come over later? Jake's having a few friends over, and we thought it would be fun to hang out."

I forced a smile, my heart breaking at the casualness of her invitation. "Um, maybe another time," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper. "I have some stuff to do."

Emma's smile faltered for a moment, but then she shrugged, turning back to Jake. "Okay, no worries," she said, her voice light and carefree.

As they walked away, I felt a wave of sadness wash over me. It was clear that Emma had moved on, but I couldn't shake the feeling that a part of me would always be stuck in that moment, frozen in time.

I walked home alone, my inner turmoil twisting within me. Would she ever truly be mine?

The evening drew to a close, I slipped into my pajamas, the fabric soft and comforting against my skin. The events of the day weighed heavily on my mind, and I couldn't shake the sadness that clung to me like a shadow. With a sigh, I climbed into bed, pulling the covers up to my chin.

Just as I was starting to drift off to sleep, I heard a soft tapping at my window. My heart skipped a beat, and I sat up, squinting through the darkness. To my surprise, I saw Emma's familiar figure climbing through the window, her movements cautious and quiet.