Chapter Two- Life In The Valley

As I descended the creaky stairs to the cozy breakfast nook, I heard my mother call out to me. "Helena, dear, are you feeling better today?"her warm smile and gentle eyes a comforting sight.

"Yes, Mother, I'm fine," I replied, taking a seat beside her. She handed me a steaming bowl of porridge, and I dug in, savoring the sweet, creamy flavor.

"Good," she said, "because I need your help with something. Mrs. Rachel needs some jars of milk delivered, and I thought it would be a lovely task for you."

I nodded, happy to assist. As we walked to the small cottage's kitchen, I couldn't help but think about my life. I was the only child, and it was just Mother and me living in this little cottage on the outskirts of the kingdom. I was adopted by Mother from an old woman up the hill when I was about 6 months old. She had told me the story many times - how I was found abandoned by the stream, with no one knowing who my real parents were. I was different from everyone else - my bright green eyes and auburn hair set me apart, and my skin was a bit fairer than everyone else's.

We packed the jars of milk into a wicker basket, and I set off towards Mrs. Rachel's shop. The sun was shining, casting a warm glow over the thatched roofs and the bustling streets. I walked briskly, enjoying the fresh air and the sound of birds chirping.

As I entered Mrs. Rachel's shop, the kindly old woman greeted me with a warm smile. "Ah, dear Helena, how's life treating you?" she asked, her eyes twinkling with kindness.

"Great!" I exchanged pleasantries with her, and she began to stock the jars of milk on the shelves. "I thought you might use these to make some pastries, Mrs. Rachel," I said, eyeing the jars.

"Ah, dear, I wish I could," she replied, "but butter is expensive, and I need to save every coin I can. Maybe one day, when times are better, I'll make some pastries again."

Just then, a tall, imposing figure clad in a black coat and hat strode into the shop. His piercing eyes seemed to bore into my very soul, sending an involuntary shiver down my spine.

"Good day, sir," I said, trying to sound polite, but he didn't respond. Instead, he fixed me with an intense stare, his gaze lingering on my face. I felt a strange connection to him, as if our paths had crossed before, though I knew we had never met.

As I quickly left the shop, I couldn't shake off the feeling of unease. There was something about that man that unsettled me, something that made me remember my recurring nightmares. Then it hit me. I had seen a glimmer of green in his eyes. What! I thought I was the only one around here who had green eyes. I quickened my pace, eager to return home and confide in Mother about the strange encounter.

As I entered our cottage, Mother looked up from her sewing and smiled. "How was your trip, dear?" she asked, her eyes sparkling with interest.

I handed her the coins, and her eyes widened in surprise. "Oh, Mrs. Rachel is too kind!" she exclaimed, silently thanking the woman.

I nodded in agreement, still feeling a bit shaken by the encounter with the mysterious man. But with Mother's warm presence and the cozy atmosphere of our cottage, I began to feel a sense of comfort and security wash over me. 

Later in the day,as we sat down to a simple but delicious dinner of roasted vegetables and bread, Mother asked me about my day. I told her about the strange man in Mrs. Rachel's shop, and she listened intently, her expression thoughtful.

Mother's expression turned thoughtful, and she put down her sewing. "I don't know, dear. But I think it's time I told you more about your past. You're old enough now to know the truth. "

"You see, Helena, you were found abandoned by the stream when you were just a baby. No one knew who your parents were or where you came from. But I knew I had to take care of you, and I've loved you like my own daughter ever since."

I listened, entranced, as Mother told me about the strange circumstances of my discovery. She spoke of the strange mark on my hand, a small, intricate symbol that I had always thought was just a birthmark.

"That mark, Helena, it's a sign of your true heritage. You come from a long line of powerful people, people with gifts and abilities beyond your wildest dreams."

I felt a shiver run down my spine as Mother's words painted a picture of a life I had never known. A life of magic and wonder, of secrets and mysteries waiting to be uncovered.

"But why didn't you tell me before?" I asked, feeling a mix of emotions: excitement, curiosity, and a hint of betrayal.

"I wanted to protect you, Helena. The world can be a dangerous place, especially for someone with your gifts. But now, I think it's time for you to know the truth. And to meet your destiny."

What destiny? I thought remembering the dream I had the night before. Does it have to do with my roots? The note? The mark? Where those signs? Signs of what exactly? I couldn't quite wrap my finger round it and I  wouldn't want to worry mother with what she won't understand. 

*******

Please vote,comment and share.💞