Chapter One

Vivian

"So?" I looked out the window watching the people outside the restaurant, observing them do their normal day-to-day activities. I couldn't help but wonder what my life would be like if I lived like them.

Would I have pursued a career in medicine, healing the sick? Could I have found love? As these thoughts enveloped my mind, I gradually drifted away from the present moment, oblivious to my blind date seated across from me.

His words merged into a distant murmur. I felt the weight of the knife strapped to my thigh beneath my dress, constantly reminding me of the world I lived in. The sound of my date's voice saying "Vivian?" interrupted my thoughts swirling in my mind, making me refocus on the present moment.

"What did you say?" I couldn't remember his name. I racked my brain trying to recall if he introduced himself as Bryan, Ben or Barry, but it slipped my mind. I take a deep breath, calming my nerves from yet another blind date my aunt set me up on. I make a mental note not to trust her matchmaking skills in the future, as her idea of a perfect match always ends up feeling like a form of torture.

"I said I hated that my parents called me Brody." That's his name. I don't bother to remind myself of his name since I don't plan on seeing him again after tonight. "How come your parents named you Vivian?" He inquires, I close my eyes at the mention of my parents. Gone. They were dead. Just like the other many people who have disappeared from my life, leaving behind only memories.

I miss them, more than I could ever put into words. Their loss ruined me completely but made me into the woman I am today. A leader for our family. A survivor. A feared woman in the world of crime. "Uh," I think of the right words to say. "They named me after my grandmother." It was the half truth. My grandmother's name was Vanessa. She was a tough topic to discuss in my family, so it's better not to mention more about her.

"That's lovely, I was-" Taking a sip from my red wine, I exhale a sigh. "This isn't working out for me." I shove my chair back to stand up. "My aunt can be very convincing and I only went on this date to put her mind at ease." I grab my Louis Vuitton bag, slinging it over my shoulder. "It's not you, it's me." I finish, leaving my date with his mouth wide open. I quickly marched myself to the exit before he could stop me.

I stepped outside into the cool night air, I felt a sense of relief wash over me. The date had been another painful reminder of the normal life I could never have. I pulled out my phone and quickly texted Hudson to bring the car around.

"On my way," his response came almost immediately.

I slipped my phone back into my bag and scanned the street, watching the late-night crowd milling about.

Just as I was beginning to relax, a movement on the rooftop of the building across the road caught my eye. My senses went on high alert. I squinted, trying to make out what it was. The faint outline of a figure crouched at the edge sent a chill down my spine.

Suddenly, a gunshot rang out, piercing the stillness of the night. Instinctively, I threw myself to the ground, feeling the impact of the concrete as I hit it. People around me screamed and scattered, chaos erupting in an instant.

I rolled to the side, seeking cover behind a parked car. My heart pounded in my chest, adrenaline surging through my veins. My hand went to the knife strapped to my thigh, ready to defend myself if necessary, regretting that I hadn't brought my gun.

"Hudson, where are you?" I muttered under my breath, my eyes darting around for any signs of further danger.

Another shot echoed through the street, hitting the car I was hiding behind. The glass shattered, and I felt a sharp sting on my cheek where a shard had grazed me. I cursed under my breath, knowing I needed to get out of here fast.