Chapter Ten

Vivian

The morning light filtered through the blinds as I sat in my office, the remnants of last night's movie night with Jade still bringing a faint smile to my lips. But the weight of our situation quickly brought me back to reality.

A knock at the door broke my concentration. "Come in," I called out.

Ryan stepped in, his expression tense. "Vivian, you need to see this."

I followed him to the conference room where a TV screen showed footage of one of our warehouses, now a smouldering ruin. "What happened?" I demanded.

"The Russians. They hit us last night," Ryan said, his voice grim.

Before I could respond, my phone buzzed with a message. It was from Dominic: "We need to meet. Urgent." My heart pounded as I glanced at Jade, still sound asleep. 

I quietly slipped out of her room, not wanting to disturb her. I made my way to my own room and headed straight for the shower, letting the hot water wash away my anxiety and prepare me for whatever lay ahead.

After drying off, I stood before my closet, considering my options. I needed something practical yet powerful, an outfit that would convey strength and readiness. I selected a sleek black turtleneck, its fabric clinging to my form in a way that was both comfortable and subtly intimidating. Over that, I pulled on a fitted leather jacket.

Next, I chose a pair of tailored black pants, the perfect blend of mobility and style. They hugged my curves but allowed for swift movement, crucial for any unexpected turns the day might take. I completed the look with a pair of black ankle boots.

As a final touch, I pulled my hair into a high ponytail, keeping it out of my face.. I glanced in the mirror, satisfied with the reflection staring back at me—a woman prepared for anything.

With a deep breath, I grabbed my phone and headed downstairs, ready to face whatever urgent matter Dominic needed to discuss. 

An hour later, I arrived at Dominic's mansion, the imposing structure looming against the night sky. I walked up the steps, my mind focused on the urgent meeting ahead. As I reached the entrance, the door opened to reveal a man who looked strikingly similar to Dominic.

"Scusa," he said, his eyes, a darker shade of blue than Dominic's, sweeping over me. "Che bellezza."

"Excuse me?" I asked, arching an eyebrow.

Lorenzo laughed, a charming, yet slightly mischievous sound. "I said you're gorgeous," he translated smoothly, his accent thick and undeniably Italian.

I rolled my eyes, a small smirk playing on my lips despite myself. "Right. Where's Dominic?"

"He's in his office," Lorenzo replied, his tone still light. "Upstairs, to the right."

I nodded and moved past him, feeling his eyes linger on me for a moment before I ascended the grand staircase. Lorenzo's easy confidence and playful nature contrasted sharply with Dominic's intense demeanour, but both brothers clearly shared a knack for making an impression.

As I reached the top of the stairs, I turned to the right, finding Dominic's office door ajar. I pushed it open and stepped inside, my eyes immediately locking onto Dominic's figure behind the large mahogany desk. His gaze lifted from the papers scattered before him.

"Vivian," he greeted, his voice a mixture of relief and urgency.

"Dominic," I replied, closing the door behind me. "What's so urgent?"

He motioned for me to take a seat, and I did. "Vivian," he began, "we've got a situation."

I leaned forward, my curiosity piqued. "What is it?" I asked, already preparing myself for the worst.