Not everyone has good intentions

Maury

I interviewed a few people for the assistant position, reviewing their qualifications. I couldn't have someone help me handle essential cases like the lawsuit if they weren't qualified. People trust me as a lawyer.

After reviewing a few applicants, I met with Will Grady. He seemed qualified from his resume. I interviewed him and explained the job requirements. Will responded and nodded his head in understanding.

After talking for a good half hour, I hired Will. We stood up.

Will shook my hand enthusiastically. "You won't regret your decision to hire me, Maury."

I pulled my hand away and wiped it on my handkerchief. "All I need is for you to keep my schedule straight, gather files, and submit documents for me."

"You won't regret your decision to hire me." Will smiled at me.

"Alright." I showed Will out of my office as we encountered Shep carrying a paper sack. "Hey, Shep."

"Maury." Shep gave me a curt nod before eyeing Will.

"Shep, this is my new assistant, Will. He'll help me with the cases until I finish them."

Shep didn't say anything but look at Will.

"It's nice to meet you, Shep." Will held out his hand to Shep.

Shep glanced at Will's extended hand, but didn't take it. "You can call me Shepherd."

Shep's curtness toward Will confused me.

Will's smile faded as he lowered his hand and looked at me. "I'll see you tomorrow, Maury. Thanks again." He left the office.

I shook my head and walked into my office. Shep followed me and closed the door before walking toward my desk.

"What was with rudeness toward Will?"

"There's something about him I don't like."

I put my hands on my desk and leaned toward Shep.
"You don't even know him."

Shep shook his head. "I can't explain it. I just don't like him."

"You don't need to like Will. I need an assistant, and he's the only qualified person for the job."

"Aren't there others you can hire?"

"Shep, I interviewed several people for the job. No one had the qualifications. I have pending lawsuits. People trust me to help them. I can't let them down."

Shep sighed. "Fine, but only because I trust you. I don't trust that Will."

I nodded in response. I wish I would have listened to Shep when he voiced his concerns. But I chose to see the good in people. It would bite me in the ass.

******
Over the next few months, I worked on clearing the workload with Will's help. He kept track of my schedule, so it was one less thing to worry about. He would grab files and paperwork for me so I could focus on the lawsuits.

While the help was great, Will would schedule client meetings when I asked him not to. If I didn't meet clients for lunch, it was dinner. I preferred my meetings with clients during office hours. Will suggested it was more efficient this way, so I reluctantly agreed.

This started causing problems between Shep and me.

******
Shepherd