The Eyes are the Windows to the Soul pt. 2

2.

M'Baku rummaged around in one of his many offices. The royal palace lacked no room to store things. He was preparing his bag of a few modest items for a quick trip to Jabari. Since taking his position as interim king, M'Baku had appointed a new head of Jabari land. But he still found himself checking up on things. Their crops. Their economy. His people.

He disliked using it but knew Shuri would ask if had he taken it, so he searched for his pair of kimoyo beads in the desk drawer. His steelcase chair twirled as he spun it away from the desk. Scissors. Tea bags. Pencils. Hologram paper. Tea mugs.

"I believe you're looking for this," a smooth voice said. M'Baku felt a pair of shiny beads pressed into his palm.

"Thank you, Ayo—" he began before throwing a stapler at the intruder. His mighty throw caused an indent in the wall where the stapler ricocheted off.

Unperturbed, the other man sidestepped the weapon. He was wearing a long white cape, beaded with jade and gold around his neck. Fancy enough to rival his luxurious furs. Still, he wore those ridiculous booty shorts in front of a man of his stature!

"I fear you must be directionally challenged. Our meeting is in the Wakandan conference room later today." M'Baku huffed. His hands were sweating a bit but he clenched them, putting on a strong face. Namor would be sushi before he wreaked havoc in the palace again.

Namor cornered him cooly. He touched a finger to one of M'Baku's books on hunting boars. Then, he looked at the family photo on his desk of his wives and many sons and daughters. He smiled and set the photo down.

"The surface man is duplicitous. However, I shouldn't be surprised as its your nature. No more than a snake has to slither or a bird has to fly."

"Pray tell me what you speak in circles about?"

With dark black piercing eyes, Namor answered him. "Honesty is everything. How did you think you could lie to me? Didn't you consider I might have my people patrolling and hearing what I cannot?"

Who did he think he was to threaten him?

M'Baku managed to knock him back with a mighty blow of his fist only to blink and see the fish man back in front of him as if unmoved. M'Baku was no coward, but he also was no fool. He still knew the phantom pains of trying to go up against him.

"In the past, you've said you're not with her. The council says something different. You're the leading candidate to become Shuri of the Golden Tribe's husband."

M'Baku swallowed and eyed him warily. "The council is like most bloated governments. They have their ideas, but nothing is set in stone."

"You lead this council."

"But I've to keep many happy. It's something I hadn't understood fully before.

"Who do you make happy by marrying the princess?"

He couldn't resist. "Some might say the lady herself?" He grinned like the cat with the canary and the fish.

Namor turned his head very slowly. For a man much shorter than him, he wasn't lacking in menacing aura.

"You think you're very funny."

"I think ..." Glory to Hanuman, that he managed to say it with no stutter. "You're invested beyond the political alliance."

The other man smiled. M'Baku felt his mouth go dry. Fighting was easy. At least one won, died, or lived to fight another day. This man was unpredictable. Wakanda already dealt with a deficit by appeasing this crazed fish man.