A Connection

(Angel's POV)

Was this all just a dream? I asked myself as I got up from my bed.

I put on my typical pink striped suit since I had to be in the studio by noon. As I applied my liquid eyeliner, I struggled to convince myself that last night had actually happened. I couldn't have imagined everything, right?

I quickly finished my makeup and then made my way downstairs. I was up way earlier than usual. My typical wake-up time of 9:30 was now 7:30. I doubt that many will be up since breakfast isn't until 9.

As I walked into the lobby, I searched for my sister, hoping that she was awake so I could prove to myself that she's not just a figment of my imagination. Unfortunately, she wasn't. The only one who was there was Husk, who was already behind the bar. I smirked and sauntered over to the bar, taking a seat on my usual barstool.

"Mornin', Whiskers," I said, resting my head on two of my hands.

"What have I told you about the nicknames?" He snarled, glaring at me. I stayed silent and blew him a kiss. He rolled his eyes, causing me to chuckle.

"I know you said you don't like 'em, but your reaction is just too good for me to pass up." He scoffed, a slight smile tugging at his lips. "Anyway, have you seen my sister anywhere?"

"Nah, she hasn't been down here this morning," He said, taking a sip of his coffee. I sighed in relief, grateful that I hadn't just made up the whole scenario.

"Hmm, so you don't just drink booze, huh?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. Every other time I had seen to cat demon, he had his lips locked on a bottle of hard liquor. So, I was surprised.

"I drink coffee every morning. You're just never awake when I do," He replied, shrugging before adding some liquor from a flask into the mug.

I chuckled slightly. I shouldn't be surprised.

"Hey, Husk?" He glanced at me while in the middle of a drink. "Can I ask you a question?"

"You can ask," He said, adding more liquor in his coffee.

"Why did you help my sister? I mean, you were still an overlord back then, and she had already sold her soul by that point, so why did you help her when there wasn't anything in it for ya?"

He thought for a moment, tapping his claws on the side of his mug. It was obvious that he didn't expect that sort of question, and I wondered if he would just blow me off and not answer it.

"She was different."

"Different?" I scoffed, amused.

"Do you want my answer or not?" I nodded. "She was kind to those she played with, acted as if she was friends with all of them, even as she drained them of their money. But the players loved her and kept playing with her even when they knew they'd lose. They just enjoyed her company, as did I. But despite her bubbly, charismatic attitude, I could tell she was struggling. So, I offered her refuge at the casino and companionship. We've been friends ever since."

"Nah, there's more to it."

He sighed before admitting, "She made me feel seen and...needed. That I was more than just an overlord...I was a person."

"Do ya...love her?" I asked solemnly, noting the sincerity in his voice.

"I do, but not in the way you think." My eyes widened in confusion. He chuckled. "I love her the same way you do. She's like the sister that I never had...You're very lucky to have her, Angel."

"I know, and thank you for being there for her," I said, smiling softly.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," He replied, smiling back, his gaze meeting mine.