Chapter 23

Chapter 23.

- "Hey, did you hear! Another Ryoka was caught early this morning. Squad four's stations are full of squad eleven members! Can you believe it?" –

- "I can't believe it! After they took out a captain, who are these Ryoka?" –

Angry shouts ranged along the streets. Every corner had groups of Shinigami marching – searching for any clue as to find the rest of the Ryoka. At some point, the guards were providing detailed descriptions of their appearances. She even heard someone mentioning her bright red joggers.

Now she knew why they insisted she change clothes. You would definitely stand out if you weren't dressed in those black robes. Only higher positions could use identifying robes. She still hadn't seen a captain and would much rather stay away from their radar.

It pained her to listen to all the rumours and news. There was no way she would believe anything she heard, but it was good to know at least something.

- "Can you believe they sent the Ryoka to squad four to be treated!? Ha! So weak! To think they still had more days until the execution, now they won't be a problem." – at the mention of this news. She stopped in her tracks.

No, this couldn't be.

If they were caught and sent to some imprisonment, there was a chance to sneak around and find a way to get them out.

But they had injured her friends.

The rush of blood ignited something in her, she couldn't keep this up. Following Ino and Gaara wo wherever it was would only distract her from the present issue. There was no time to waste, the next news she would hear could be worse.

And she didn't want to stand around and wait for her friends to be taken down one at a time.

They needed her.

- "Hey, are you coming?" – Ino insisted, her tune colder as she turned to peak into her friends eyes. – "You know - they are not your friends." –

Her eyes hardened. She wanted to ask, but her eyes told her everything. – "They are." – she corrected.

The unimpressed sigh that came from the blonde – her best friend – was shattering. – "No, they are not. Stop stalling and follow us, don't waste time." –

She glanced at the redhead - those eyes were also as cold as ice. She had known them a long time ago – before they became who they are now.

All those questions in her head had twisted her arm into believing nothing else mattered other than learning who these people where. Who they meant for her.

- "If they were your friends, you would have saved that Ryoka from Gaara's squadron." – surprised, the pinket faced the man. He only shrugged his shoulders. – "Oh, he didn't tell you. Last night one was found and taken to the captain of squadron eleven. But that is not one of the rumours... only some know this." – her words laced with ice.

They spoke of the friends she had made back in the land of the living as if they were mere bugs in their eyes. The way she was treated was miles away from the treatment her friends would receive. From keeping her fed, clean and entertained.

Keeping her distracted.

She couldn't let this be.

Orihime would always cheer her up and comfort her when life was tough, and it felt like the world was on your shoulders. Chad would play his guitar while she hummed to his tune on their nighttime runs around town. Ichigo would make her mad and they would argue over anything and everything before laughing about it at the end.