"The Payoff"

After hours of fighting we finally broke the French lines. Jumped into their trench and massacred them, again. But this time - this time it was different, there was no more trenches in front of us. Only retreating Frenchmen and English. i stared awe stricken by the sight. "So. It's over, eh?" A older man says as he puts his hand on my shoulder. "It is? I can finally go home. See my wife? Please, tell me, im, excited!" The man looked at me with sunken eyes, "well, of course not bastard! Look at yeh, yer covered in blood and are surrounded by dead comrades and foes! You think they'd really let ya home now?" I looked at him a-bit shocked by his reply "but i-" he interrupted "just trying to lighten the mood, kid. I come from the Eastern Front, survived since war started on the frontline. Battalion called me Old Iron! Well, they use to. Theres nobody left." I chuckle slightly as he continues "one time only one battalion of horrified Russians was left. Our entire squad challenged them to some cards for freedom! They didn't win, if you were interested." I look at him and say "you got good jokes, sir. Say, what's your name?" He looks off to the side "don't consider it a sign of friendship. I learnt what happens if you make friends here. Fredrick."

"Thank you sir, names Thomas." He takes a sip of his canteen "how long you been out here, Thomas?"  I look around "i think, i don't remember, a week at most." He laughs "not the first lucky one Ive seen, ain't the first platoon i got moved to, one time we were fighting some British and a poor lad named Adolf got held up, if it wasn't for the man holding him up not being able to kill, he wouldn't be there!" I laugh openly for the first time in forever "tis' is war! If it was us Germans holding up a Frenchman he'd have a bayonet through his skull! Fredrick laughs at my joke "ay tis' is war!"