First Date: Part 1

Saturday July 12th, 1986

I met someone earlier tonight. He was sitting, second row from the top, watching the credits roll.

"He's about to kick you out you know?" I said to him. He looked startled and kind of fumbled standing up. It made me laugh a little. "I'm not kicking you out", I assured him, "but Ferris is about to. I'm in no rush," I said while taking a seat in the front row. "I like to sit in here during the credits too, hide from my managers." I heard him laugh from behind me. I watched the screen as Ferris came out of the bathroom to ask us why we were still there.

The lights came up as I stood and saw he was coming down the stairs towards me, or I guess the exit really. I recognized him; his curly brown hair was unmistakable. It hung just past his shoulders with messy bangs, all framed buy a small chain around his neck that softly hung over his old high school t-shirt.

"I've seen you in here before, haven't I?" I asked him as he passed. He turned around and looked at me as though he was looking directly through me.

"The Karate Kid...Two."

"Ah, I was thinking Poltergeist Two."

He smirked, "Yea, I saw that one too. Not as good as the first one."

"Neither was the Karate Kid Two." I retorted.

He looked surprised but laughed. "Really? You didn't like it?" I shook my head. "Well, we can't all have good taste." He teased.

"Well," I interjected, "that new one, Aliens looks pretty good."

"This seems to be the year of the sequels hu?"

"I think you might be right." We both paused and just looked at each other. "Will you be seeing that one too then?" The question came out quicker than I wanted, and I could feel my cheeks begin to turn red. 'This was a mistake' I thought to myself. The pause was unbearable, surely, he thought that question was queer, so I braced myself.

"Will you be?" He was still smirking and hadn't looked away.

"Oh, I see almost every movie as they come out seeing as I get in for free."

"Well, maybe I need to come with you next time. Might save me some money."

My heart jumped into my throat. This had to be some kind of game. But he stood there, sincere, and waiting for a response. "Um, right, yea," I stumbled trying to find the right thing to say. "I bring my friends all the time when they wanna catch a movie."

"So can we be friends then?" He held out his hand as I took it. "Name's Henry." I responded with my own. He smiled. "Nice to meet ya friend. I'll see you around then."

Then he left. I don't know what to think, but I'm glad we finally met. I don't know if we will spend any time together other than him watching credits while I clean the theatre, but I guess I will have to wait and see. He smelled nice too, like a campfire mixed with vanilla and sweat.

-Christian

Tuesday July 15th, 1986

I saw him again, Henry. He was out behind the cinema staring at what seemed like a dark spot in the asphalt of the parking lot. "Back already?" I shouted to him. He shuttered. He looked pale, unwell, but when he saw me, he smiled.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought."

"Didn't me to startle ya."

"You didn't." But I could see his hands were still shaking. "You got a cigarette I could have?"