Chapter Twenty-Seven: Safeguard

I couldn't sleep at all last night

     I couldn't sleep at all last night. Worry kept me tossing and turning, and every time it got quiet, my mind raced with anxious thoughts. But I did find a spell in my Grimoire to keep the newborns on the battlefield. It was a relief before I finally fell asleep.

I stood at the edge of the trees, observing as Bella pricked her finger and spread the blood on the bark. She had smudged her blood on several trees throughout the battlefield. I had explained the spell's purpose to her, and she appeared fascinated by it.

"Are you sure it will work?" Bella asked sceptically, after marking the tree and then joining me. I was astral projecting to her location. As I had planned to spend the night before the battle with the Cullens, and then proceed from there. So, physically, I was at the Cullens' place.

"Yes. Your blood will link the trees, creating an invisible barrier. Once they cross it, they won't be able to leave," I explained, aiming to reassure her of the plan's effectiveness. It was something small that could help us in the long run. "Are you sure you'll be okay up there, with both of them?" Bella had mentioned that Edward had proposed again, this time with a ring, though I hadn't seen it. It was Edward's condition for turning her; he wanted to be married to her first, which was considerate in its own way.

"I'll be fine," Bella replied, halting in front of me. "I'm more worried about you being there," she expressed concern about my presence on the battlefield. "They're vampires, Charlotte," she emphasized, her worry evident. "If you can't speak or get overwhelmed," her anxiety was palpable.

"Bella," I interjected firmly, her mouth closing as her eyes locked onto mine. "I'll be fine. I'm ready," I assured her with a determined look and a firm nod of my head. But she still held concern in her expression.

"Be safe," Bella said, offering me a soft smile. I nodded in response. As I fluttered my eyes closed, I felt my astral body snap back to my physical one. Opening my eyes, I found myself staring out of the window in Edward's room.

I spun on my heels to face the bed, and there, sprawled across it, was Emmett. His broad frame leaned against the headboard, and my Grimoire rested in his hands, its pages spread wide. He peered at the intricate patterns and ancient text; his brow furrowed in concentration.

"How do you read this?" he asked, tilting his head slightly, his gaze still fixed on the mysterious symbols and words before him.

"With ease," I replied, a playful smirk dancing on my lips as our eyes met, his grin mirroring mine. "At first they were words and symbols, that I couldn't decipher," I mused, moving closer to the bed and gracefully settling on the edge, facing him. He waited in silence for my response. "Thanks to my Grams' patient teaching, the words and symbols soon became easy to decipher," I reminisced, a smile spreading across my face as memories of late-night study sessions flooded my mind—hours spent mastering even the simplest spells.

Emmett remained silent; his gaze fixed on the pages. "Nope. Can't make heads or tails of it," he admitted with a hint of frustration, his efforts evident. I couldn't help but chuckle at his response.