Chapter Twenty-Six: Devoted

The smile from my time with Emmett still lingers on my face

     The smile from my time with Emmett still lingers on my face. My Grams had likely noticed my smile during our brief conversation. I slipped into my room before my Grams could even ask a question, closing the door softly behind me. Leaning against it, I let out a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding. My heart swelled with the memories of the evening—the way we talked, the way we laughed together, and most of all, the way we kissed. Every detail felt vivid and perfect, each moment etched into my mind like a cherished keepsake.

I pushed myself away from the door and walked over to my bed. With a playful spin, I fell back onto the soft covers, feeling the mattress give beneath my weight. The sensation of sinking into the plush fabric and the memories that danced around my mind, made me let out a giggle, the sound filling the room. I stared up at the ceiling, my mind replaying the evening's events, the laughter bubbling up again as I recalled Emmett's smile, the warmth of his embrace, and the electric thrill of our kisses.

Suddenly, a knock echoed through the room, and the door swiftly opened. I propped myself up on my elbows and saw my Grams standing there, a warm smile on her face.

"I take it you had a nice time?" she remarked, a smirk tugging at the corner of her lips. I couldn't help but smile even wider at her comment. "If you keep smiling like that, it might just stick," she chuckled, earning a laugh from me as I sat up, now perched on the edge of the bed.

"I can't help it," I replied, smiling through the words. "Grams, I..." My voice faltered, unable to find the right words to express how incredibly happy I felt in that moment. "I really like him, but... is it possible?" I asked, my eyebrows knitting together in curiosity.

She chuckled softly, walking toward me. "Anything is possible," she said, stopping at the edge of my bed and gracefully sitting down beside me. "Just because he's a vampire and you're a witch doesn't change a thing," she continued, wrapping her arm around me and pulling me into her embrace. "Only you can decide if you want to nurture this flower and see if it blooms," she said, using a garden analogy to make it clearer to me. "But with all things come sacrifices. He will stay the same forever. You can never have children, never grow old together. He will watch you age," my Grams said, being realistic, her hand rubbing up and down my arm.

"I just want to live in the here and now," I responded, casting my gaze at her. "Every time I'm with him, he brings out a side of me I never knew I had. He's not afraid of what I can do. He embraces it, embraces me," I spoke with earnest passion. "I'll worry about the future when it comes," I declared, determined not to let it affect the present.

"It comes for us all," she declared, pulling me tighter into her embrace, her love palpable in the gesture. "I'm just glad you're happy," she continued, planting a soft, tender kiss on the top of my forehead. Before gently resting her chin on top of my head.

We sat at the end of the bed for what felt like hours. I absorbed her words, but they didn't sway me. I understood that this wouldn't be easy. Bella and Edward had faced challenges, and I anticipated the same for Emmett and me.