~ Prologue ~

A fresh start awaited me in a different town

     A fresh start awaited me in a different town. That day marked the beginning of my journey to leave behind past mistakes. Peering out of the window of the black truck, I observed miles of lush, green trees, finding solace in the serenity of nature. The road stretched on endlessly, with a sign gradually coming into view. As we approached, the words 'Forks' became clear, indicating our arrival in a small Washington town. With a population of only 3,545, now 3,547 with our arrival, it seemed like a tranquil haven.

Sighing, I rested my head in my hands, contemplating the new beginning ahead. My grandmother had purchased a two-story house in this town, a modest investment for us. Formerly an occult studies teacher, Grams hoped to secure a similar position at Forks High. Lost in my thoughts, I hardly noticed as we pulled up to our new home.

I glanced at the house, finding it cosy for the time being. Pushing open the truck door, I swung my legs out and lowered myself onto the ground. Following suit, Grams and I made our way to the back of the truck to retrieve our suitcases. The rest of our belongings would arrive the next day with the moving van. Rolling my suitcase along the ground, I approached the porch, the wooden steps echoing with each bump of my luggage. Grams entered first, carrying her belongings, and I followed. Standing together in the hallway, we took in our new surroundings, exchanging small smiles of reassurance.

"It's lovely," I remarked, but she only nodded before heading back to retrieve the rest of our belongings from the truck. Making my way upstairs, I sought out the first available room. Pushing open the door, it emitted a slight creak. The room appeared spacious, with a bed frame already in place, though devoid of sheets or any personal touches. Alongside, there was a walk-in closet, drawers, and white shelves adorning the plain light grey walls. Placing my suitcase on the bed, I unzipped it with a firm tug. Flipping open the flap, I revealed my leather-bound grimoire, a cherished heirloom passed down through generations. It was the only tangible connection I had to my mother.

I lifted it gently, attempting to stifle the tears welling in my eyes. Settling onto the bed, I cradled the book close to my chest, lost in thought. Grams had once practised the craft, but after my mother's passing, she abandoned it. Yet, she vowed to honour her promise to teach me when the time was right. The grimoire overflowed with spells, though Grams had only imparted basic knowledge thus far, always affirming my potential as a powerful witch. She also enlightened me about the true essence of a witch's calling.

Grams often regaled me with tales of vampires (Cold Ones) and werewolves (Shape-Shifters) from our family's lore, weaving stories that stretched back centuries, beyond even the Salem trials. Though I initially dismissed them as fantasy, I couldn't discount the possibility, knowing that if witches existed, other supernatural beings might as well.

Breaking free from my reverie, I rose from the bed, placing the book gently on the soft mattress before proceeding to unpack my clothes, each item finding its designated place.

.................

Time slipped away as I meticulously organized my belongings around the room. Glancing out the window, I noticed that night had fallen, revealing a sky adorned with twinkling stars. A sudden knock at my bedroom door jolted me from my thoughts, and I swiftly turned to find Grams leaning against the frame, her eyes scanning the room.

"Your room looks lovely, dear," she remarked, her gaze drifting over the family photos adorning the drawers and shelves. A picture of my parents, Grams, and me as a baby rested on the bedside table, facing the bed.

"Thank you, Grams," I replied, smiling as I moved to sit on the bed, facing her.

"Tomorrow's your first day at Forks High School. Are you excited?" she inquired. I rolled my eyes playfully, eliciting a chuckle from her as she joined me on the bed, taking my hands in hers and meeting my gaze. "Try not to cause any explosions, honey," she teased, patting my hands gently.

"I'll do my best... no promises about blowing anyone up, though," I quipped, shrugging. She knew I was joking and playfully tapped the back of my hand before running her fingers through my hair, tucking a strand behind my ear. With a loving look, she rose from the bed.

"Goodnight, Grams," I bid as she headed towards the door.

"Goodnight, my lovely," she replied before closing the door behind her. Nestled in bed, the absence of sheets replaced by a cosy black fur blanket, I contemplated the impending school day with a mix of anticipation and reluctance. As I closed my eyes, fatigue washed over me, and I succumbed to a deep slumber, thoughts of tomorrow fading into the darkness.

*****************