Part 11

They say exercise releases endorphins and you could certainly do with the boost to your mood this morning so you double your efforts, feet pounding hard on the pavement as you pick up your pace, chasing that natural high

They say exercise releases endorphins and you could certainly do with the boost to your mood this morning so you double your efforts, feet pounding hard on the pavement as you pick up your pace, chasing that natural high. You've got your EarPods in, your upbeat exercise playlist blasting, the hazy autumn early morning sunshine bathing you in liquid gold.

You should be in the zone right now. Running usually completely clears your mind, obliterating any unwanted negativity and putting you in a positive mindset to start the day, but for some reason it's just not working today. As you round the corner by the park and clock up mile number three you're still plagued with thoughts of Van and his sneakiness. But even worse than that, other thoughts start intruding. Rather than just fuming about what he'd done, your mind starts exploring why he'd actually gone to the lengths to do what he did. You've been so preoccupied with thinking that he was intent on sabotaging you for purely spiteful reasons, but the more you think about it the more that explanation seems flawed. If he'd wanted to ruin your night there were a hundred other ways he could have done it to really piss you off and cause as much chaos as possible, but no real damage had been done after all if you were being completely honest with yourself. In fact, in reality the person who came off worst out of the whole situation was Van himself. Fair enough he'd been devious and he'd lied, but his intended goal seemed to be simply to spend more time alone with you.

It's actually quite romantic in an absurdly chaotic kind of way...

Stop it Y/N! Don't make excuses for him! He's a creep and he can't bear to see you happy with Tom!

But he hates seeing you with Tom for one reason and one reason only... he's obviously jealous and wants you all to himself...

But that doesn't give him the right to interfere! Just steer clear of him, he's bad news... and you don't want him anyway!

You groan internally as your inner-self wrestles with how you should feel, your flighty heart and your rational brain totally disagreeing. It's pretty obvious that no amount of physical exercise is going to unburden your mind and stop you from agonising over this now, so you make a sharp turn down the path that cuts through the park, intending to go home and shower off the exertions of your run. Maybe you should just go into work early and see if you can pick up a morning shift after all. The ward's always busier first thing in the morning and you know they've been short-staffed lately.

 The ward's always busier first thing in the morning and you know they've been short-staffed lately