Mrs. Utterson's Recollection

Mrs. Utterson sighed and was speechless. She discarded the letter onto the table next to her.

"...I see."

She drew a breath, shaking her head.

"Jekyll, you fool."

She uncrossed her legs and crossed the other one over, sighing once more.

"But I understand the choices you had to make. I am sure you had no other way. Since you experimented on yourself, you could probably tell that you control was growing more erratic. At one point, you could probably no longer control the transformation with medicine and your willpower..."

She readjusted herself.

"But in the end, you couldn't return to yourself, Katherine. And you and Ms. Hyde would not be divided...? I do not know the scientific aspects of it, but your attempts on what you had worked on for so long... to divide good and evil, were in vain. And that left you with hollowness and death. You must have been frustrated. And the reason you refused to see us... the reason you locked yourself up in your manor... and the suck extreme measures that you had took... I now understand that they were all because of Ms. Hyde and they were made in an effort to protect us, yourself, and the people who surrounded you in the society that we are apart of. I now understand that everything is over now, Jekyll."

She sighed, running her hand over the letter, the last thing that could help her be close to her dear friend.

"There is only one thing I can do now..."

She picked up the envelope and held it tightly in her hands, stuck in her thoughts, wondering and questioning one who could no longer speak nor return a conversation.

"What did you think when I broke down the door? I am certain that my entrance into your laboratory brought you no pleasure. You probably made the medicine... rather poison... to free yourself. But Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde could never be free from each other. It was never to be. And you persisted even though you were aware—"

She huffed in a more irritated state.

"This is frustrating. So very frustrating..."

She continued to ask questions to no one. She was stuck to wonder, since the person who she had questions for was no longer present to answer anything at all.

"So you died as Jekyll in the body of Ms. Hyde? You could not even end your life on your own terms... How dreadful..."

She was silent. The fire crackled behind her as she stood and faced away. The envelope's paper began to crumple in her hands.

"I shall never return to your mansion. No one shall ever know the truth. I will take it with me to my grave. Do not fret, my dearest friend, your secret is safe with me. No one shall ever know, for if anyone does your work will come undone. Farewell, Jekyll... Farewell, Lanyon..."

She stood in silence once more, thinking over and recollecting what else she had wanted to say.

"May you both rest in peace, my dear friends..."

She sighed in silence, turning back to the fireplace. She gently crouched down and put the letters into the fireplace, sitting in her chair again, but when she sat she was hunched over, watching the flames crackle and burn away the only thing she had left of her dearest and closest friends.