Chapter 21

At the gates to Acton, the merchant told us our escort job was over and to go to the adventurers to finish the quest and receive our money.

The guard asked us for our adventurer card to let us in. Compared to the security in Farsbarow, it was way more strict.

Ned asks one of the guards for directions to the adventurer guild since we weren't familiar with this city.

The guard pulled out a map from his pocket like he had done this many times. Unfolding the paper, he showed us the layout of the city.

To my surprise, this looks exactly like those stereotypical fantasy cities, with it being a circle and having that same river running through the city like in many fantasy worlds.

The only difference was that there was a small split in the middle of the river that connected to a small lake in the center of the city.

The guard pointed at the small island in the small lake; he explained that was where the Dradevow dungeon was and near it was the adventurer guild.

After getting directions to the guild, everyone went to the adventurer guild in this town.

Walking through the city, as expected from a city, it felt way more crowded and dense. The people were way more bustling than in Farsbarow, with some looking to be in a hurry.

When we reached the adventurer guild after an hour of walking, I and the rest of the adventurers were amazed by the size. The building was about three times the size of Farsbarow, with an additional two stories.

Inside, it was as big as it was outside. The reception desks in the reception area are situated on opposite sides of each other, with 14 booths on each side.

Going into one of the reception desks, I received payment for the quest from the receptionist working at the booths and from the goblins.

"So, Nyx. Since we finished our escort quest, I've been wondering if you would like to join our party."

Ned had asked me if I wanted to join their party, but given my circumstances, I couldn't join a party because it would be way harder to hide my identity.

"Sorry, but I'll have to pass, I prefer working alone. However, since we are going to stay in the same inn, I don't mind working together."

"I see, and what are you going to do tomorrow?"

"Explore the dungeon."

"That sounds like fun. We are planning to take a day off tomorrow."

After we were done, I went with Ned and his party to an inn recommended to Ned by one of the receptionists.

The inn was a 30-minute walk, and when we got there, it was a pretty decent-looking inn when you compare it to the other inns we passed by.

After paying for our room and unpacking our things, we went to a tavern next door to get something to eat and went straight to bed.

The next day, I went next door to the tavern to eat some breakfast. I didn't see Ned and everyone else come; they all must be sleeping in then.

Going to the adventurer guild, I realized the city was big enough to get lost in, so I better remember the name and street of the inn I was staying at.

Luckily, I remember the direction back to the Adventurer Guild. When I got to the adventurer guild, I entered the building and noticed it was packed with adventurers.

I made my way to the quest board by weaving through the crowd of adventurers.

Looking through the quests, I wanted to take a quest related to the dungeon, so I picked a D-rank quest to gather 10 small magic shards.