Chapter 42

Massively tall muscular green humanoid monsters had appeared on the 18th floor, wearing just some loincloth and carrying weapons made of stone and wood. It was easy to distinguish what they were.

They were orcs, and there were a lot of them, 11 in total.

Alex and Wendy were having a really tough time fending them off at the front as Lucia, Chelsie, and Maria tried their best to help them in the back.

The orcs were surprisingly tenacious with the number of slashes they were receiving.

Chelsie was shooting her arrow to try to cover for Alex's and Wendy's back, and Maria was throwing potion bottles at them to inflict status ailments.

Lucia, on the other hand, was using her fire magic to keep most of the orcs at bay as Alex and Wendy were fighting some of them, but she couldn't use her more powerful spells due to the chance of friendly fire.

Standing next to Alice, I wondered if I should go and help because orcs are a staple of the fantasy genre, and I really wanted to fight one. Oh yeah, they are having trouble too.

"Should we help?"

I asked Alice if we should help, and she nodded yes.

"You should step in."

I rushed in to relieve the pressure from Alex and Wendy, while Alice shouted at everyone that I was going in to help fight the orcs.

Hearing Alice, everyone acknowledged what Alice had said, but Alex and Wendy, who had a desperate look, had a look of shock and dread like something bad was going to happen for some reason. They didn't have that look for long because the orcs they were fighting swung their weapons at them, and they barely got out of the way.

Taking out all my spikes from reading the Dradevow dungeon book and watching Alex and Wendy fight them, they would need to be hit in their vitals for them to go down quickly.

I threw all of them at once, hitting the eyes of the orks because that would do the most damage and temporarily stun them for a bit.

They screamed in pain while I jumped at the orc that was in front of Alex and thrust my short sword right through its throat, coming out the other end.

It fell to the ground as I jumped down from its big body while pulling out my short sword from its neck.

I turned my attention to the next orc closest to me. I sidestepped away from a swing of its stone axe and slashed at its wrists, causing it to let go of its weapon.

Realizing its right arm was unusable, it used its left arm to take a swing at me. Before I was going to decide to dodge, an arrow flew past me and hit its other eye, completely blinding it.

I glanced back and saw Alice pointing at the orc I was fighting and telling Chelsie to fire the arrow at it. It wasn't just that; she then was telling Lucia where to fire her spells and what potions Maria should throw and to who.

I don't know what she was doing, but it looks like she is taking command of the party. She is doing a pretty good job at it, like a natural-born tactician. It seems natural to her, and she is in her element because she seamlessly instructs everyone on what to do, like she had worked with Alex's party from the start.

I was about to grin seeing unexpectedly how well she could instruct others in addition to how much fun it was to fight these orcs.

Their tenaciousness was second only to the Latrodec spider and dire wolf, where you have to aim for vital spots, but they don't make it easy since they are quite intelligent, enough to fight back with some semblance of skill. One main challenge was that there were a lot of them for anyone to deal with, which I wonder if we were really unlucky for getting this amount of orcs since the normal amount was 2 to 3.