Chapter 24

Seeing them off from the adventurer guild, I hoped my advice and the equipment I lent them would help them.

I told Oliver next to me, who was staying back, to go to the training areas with me since I was planning to help train him.

We went to the back of the adventurer guild where the training area was, and as expected, it was even bigger than the one in Farsbarow, about three times as big.

I took a wooden sword out of the weapon racks, and Oliver did the same. Then we went to a corner in the training area that didn't have too many people.

"Okay, let's see what you need to improve on."

I was getting excited to fight someone other than a monster, and I wondered how well he would put up a fight.

However, to my complete and utter disappointment, his swordsmanship was just awful—worse than I thought.

I knocked away his wooden sword, and he fell to the ground with only two swings.

Maybe this was a fluke, so let's try again. I told him what he was doing wrong, using the same method as with Alex.

However, it was worse than last time; maybe it was another fluke. I try again and again, which leads to the same result: I knock his sword out of his hand, and he falls to the ground.

Yep, I was getting my expectations too high since he is not a main protagonist, expecting him to be at a similar level to Alex or half that was a bit much.

Honestly, where do I begin? Let's see, one of the biggest problems is that his foundations are rocky at best.

I should have asked before sparring with him, but.

"How long were you taught compared to the others?"

On the ground and his sword was knocked away, he said

"About half a month, but the others were taught for around 3 months."

Hearing that, I wonder what the teacher taught him since he should have at least been taught the basics of using a sword, right?

"Ummm, we didn't have the time."

"So you weren't taught how to fight?"

"Yes, we figured that Ned and everyone else could teach me after we left our village instead."

Ah, I see. I guess they weren't that good at teaching him; no wonder his foundations are so rocky.

He won't learn anything if I continue sparring with him; this will take longer than I think, but I have to teach him the basics then.

Pulling a straw dummy from the equipment area, I swung the wooden sword at it to show him how to swing with a proper stance and told him to try.

While he was doing that, I sat by a wall and pulled out the Dradevow dungeon book to read because I was just watching him, not training him. Periodically, I would look up to see how he was doing, tell him what he was doing wrong, and show him how it was done.

When I think his stance is passable, we focus on doing proper footwork next.

After a couple of hours, I decided to end it for the day when he fell to the ground from exhaustion.

"I think that's it for today."

"But I could go on."

He is determined, but I don't think his body can go on. He was sweating all over in a heap on the ground from exhaustion.

"No, you can't."

After some convincing, we went back to our inn. When Ned, Mark, Carl, and Keith came back after dungeon diving, I asked how it went.