Chapter 49

Seeing Alice come out wearing a cloak and her dress, she said.

"Sorry for making you wait; I haven't done my makeup on my own before; I had to ask for help."

"It's fine."

Putting on her hood, we began walking to a certain shop where I asked Iris to recommend me using Alice as a reason since she was still in hiding, specifically one that could keep their mouth shut.

On the way, Alice asked me what I wanted her to say when we met the jeweler and what I was planning to sell away.

"Well, like how much they are worth and other basic questions I would ask, and that you want to sell off your jewelry to buy a house since you are a noble and don't want to live in an inn for a while, noble's sensibility and all."

"Noble sensibility?"

"Yeah, you know how much different a noble's lifestyle is compared to a commoner's, especially when it comes to money? It's the best reason I could come up with since this jeweler already interacted with nobles before and knows how most of us would act."

"I see."

Alice mulled over my words, which I kind of made up on the spot because, in reality, I had barely any idea of how nobles tend to act toward commoners because my family is powerful—no, make that formerly powerful right now, where I very rarely have to talk to commoners outside of my family manner since they always come to me instead of the other way around.

I'm just basing this on my perceptions of nobles in my past life, where they don't have the common sense like commoners, like with money. From Alice's reaction, I'm not really too off the mark since her family, though less powerful than my own before I ran away, does interact with commoners more than I would, especially since she is from a renowned military family.

"Is there anything specific you want me to say?"

After mulling over my answer, Alice asked that, so I said.

"Ask them to melt the metal down and repurpose the gems so nobody can track me down."

"I understand, but can I see the jewelry you're planning to sell?"

Alice gave me a curious look, wanting to see, so I said sure.

I took out one of my pouches, being careful so nobody snatched it, and opened it so nobody could see them other than Alice.

They were a gold ring with an emerald gem, a pair of earrings with blue magic gemstones, and a silver necklace with a large teardrop diamond.

Alice was quite surprised to see them and said.

"These are beautiful; they are going to be worth quite a lot. Are you sure they would have the money ready to buy all of them?"

"I don't know, but if they don't, sell them whatever they can afford or ask them to set up another date so they could have the money ready."

"Got it."

We talked to each other until we reached the shop we were going to, which was in the wealthier part of the city where there were fewer adventurers and more townspeople.

This place has a lot of high-end shops and is cleaner overall than most of the city. I saw a lot of open glass windows that showed what they were offering.

Most surprisingly, we didn't really stand out in this place with our hoods covering our faces because other people did the same thing, which I'm guessing are well-known people who want to hide their identity.

The front of the shop had a sign reading Perkcan's Jewelry Shop.

It was a clean and nice-looking shop, but not the fanciest one I had ever been to, but a good-looking shop, nothing less.