Now, I understand what you tried to say to me | chapter five

Two weeks pass by with no contact from Vecna, the group are all keeping high tabs on each other, checking in and making sure everyone is doing alright; They're all ready to go to battle at any moment. Mike and Will still haven't talked about what happened at the table, but the tension between them has eased up somewhat. They act as if nothing happened and it's almost... comfortable. Will has to fight to urge to go up and shake Mike, yelling "What the fuck was that? And why are we not talking about out?"

But he doesn't, and he wonders if maybe they shouldn't. Maybe that's why it's not bothering him as much as it should. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding, a spur of the moment; Mikes always been a spontaneous person.

Its a Tuesday, Wills just gotten out of his physics class with Max and the two are making their way to the cafeteria.

"I can't believe he almost kissed you." Max says not for the first time in a hushed tone as they collect their lunch trays, Will helping Max with hers, of course. "Actually that's not true," She rethinks

"What?" asks before directing them to the party's self claimed cafeteria table.

"I mean the way he talks about and the way he looks at you is like total puppy love." Max states as they sit down with the others. Will sits down, ignoring the confused glances the rest of the group is sending them as he takes a seat between Lucas and Mike.

"Who?" Lucas asks with a teasing smile and Will scoffs,

"No one, Max is just joking." He says, poking his fork at the weirdly grey mash potatoes on his tray.

"Ooooo! Is this Arlo?" Dustin wiggles his eyebrows jokingly

Will goes bit pink

"Ew no!"

Lucas laughs and El giggles along, Mike remains oddly silent.

"Oh my god it so is! Will has a boy toy" Lucas exclaims and then starts sending faux kisses Wills way but the brunette swats him away, scooting closer to Mike to get away.

"No! No." Will states again, "Absolutely not, Dustin I'm sorry. to say this but your friend Arlo is crazy."

Dustin chuckles "Oh yes he told me all about your little music debate."

Will scoffs

"How is it even a debate? He's obviously wrong!" The brunette drops his fork and throws his hands in the air in exasperation.

Max snorts "Byers, do us all a favour and never join the debate team."

"Yes Will, do not join the debate team." El agrees.

"You know," Mike says, finally speaking up, "Just because Will talks to someone doesn't mean he likes them okay? He only talked to Arlo, what, twice?" Mike states, leaning his elbow on the table while he spoons at his mashed potatoes.

Max point her fork at him comically, "Oooo I think training wheels is jealous!"

Mike goes pink at this, flicking a bit of his potato at the blind girl. "Shut up."

"Oh come on, I'm just saying--" She tries to continue, wiping the potato of her face with Lucas' shirt who makes a noise of protest and leans into Will to get away, but Dustin interrupts.

"Wait so if you weren't talking about Arlo, who are you talking about?" He asks, giving Will a pointed look, like he were Sherlock Holmes or something.

"I wasn't talking about anyone!" Will protests, waving his hands in the air with a testing smile, "I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"But-" before Dustin can continue, Will is leaving the table dramatically.