PROLOGUE (IV)

"Now then, lastly... To commemorate your joyous entry into our school, I have a little something for you..." Monokuma giggled.
"This is our official student handbook! Pretty cool, huh? As you can see, it's fully digital. So naturally, we call it... The E-Handbook!"

Monodog continued "Ahem. Yes, well, moving on... This handbook is absolutely vital to a healthy school life, so don't lose it! When you start it up, it will display your name. Always make sure you have the right one! Now, this is not your everyday notebook. It has so many more uses than that! Also, it's completely waterproof. Splash it, wash it, drown it, it'll keep on ticking! And thanks to its space-age design, it can withstand an impact force of up to ten tons. Very resistant! It contains all of our school regulations, so make sure you review them thoroughly!"

"You'll hear me say this a lot, but any violation of school regulations will not be tolerated. Rules restrict, yes, but they also protect. Society, for example, would be utter chaos without laws. The same thing applies here! Which is why it's crucial we have strict punishments in place for violators. Okay, well. that brings our entrance ceremony to a close!"
Monodog smiled happily. "Bye bye! Have fun!"

After that wacky explanation, Monokuma disappeared. He just left us in a state of terror...

"So, everyone... How would you define what we just experienced?" Māori wondered.

"Confusing and shocking. " I said bluntly.

"Very scary..." Asteria mumbled. Her mask changed into a scared face.

"I can't believe this! I'm here to do my studies not kill someone!" Roan pouted.

"We have to live here forever..? And kill if we want to escape...?" Seo recapped. "I don't even know what to say..."

"Everyone, we need to just calm down. First, let's just take a second to summarize everything we just heard. Based on what Monokuma said, we essentially have two choice. Choice number one is that we each stay here, living a 'communal life' together until the day we die. And the other choice is.."Callum's voice trailed off.

"To kill someone, right?" I asked.

"Taking someone's life is too cruel for my heart.." Elias cried.

"We were abducted out of nowhere and stuffed into this place meant to look like a school. And now we're supposed to start killing each other? This is...insane!" Roan panicked.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter if it's real or fake. What matters is..." Mirelle started.
"Is there anyone here who's seriously considering all this...?"

We all stayed silent, glaring at They all stared at one another, trying to gauge each other's thoughts. I could almost taste the hostility. And that's when it hit me. I realized the true terror hidden within the rules Monokuma had laid out. "You must kill someone if you want to leave." Those words had planted vicious thoughts deep within each of us. Each of us became suspicious of everyone else. We were forced to wonder, "Is somebody going to betray us?"

And that was how my new school life began...
This school, which had come out of nowhere to raise my hopes so high... It's not a school of hope anymore...

It's...a school of despair.

Surviving Students:
13