𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Vivian froze. She stared at the blank front of the book.

She'd forgotten it in the library.

"How did you-"

"Also," Tom interrupted, looking at the other two, "I would like to speak with Vivian, alone."

Jane and Stephen shared a glance.

Tom gave them a polite nod. "Jane, Rowe, if you would excuse us."

The boy then walked away. He didn't ask Vivian for a private conversation or even turn around to ensure she followed.

Though apprehensive, the girl felt this odd pull, almost like a moth to a flame.

"I'll talk to you guys later." She mumbled, hurrying after Tom.

Vivian walked quickly to keep up with his pace. He kept his gaze forward, chin up, and movements swift.

Tom led her through a corridor, another corridor, and four more that got narrower and narrower.

Finally, he took a right to go up a crooked staircase.

Vivian observed it carefully; she'd never seen it before.

The staircase was long and contained in a passageway. The girl couldn't see to the top and it was several minutes before they reached it.

Tom stood on one of the last steps and suddenly put his arm out to stop Vivian from going forward.

She bumped into him and gave him a sharp glance.

With a pleasant face, he silently pointed down.

There was a step missing. It was quite wide, meaning one would have to jump. It was a far fall, wherever it led to, and completely dark.

"What is this, Tom?" Vivian asked.

"An example of Hogwarts's disregard for students' safety."

The girl glared at him.

"I meant what is this?" She gestured, "Why do you have my book, where are you taking me?"

The boy hummed. "About time you asked, I wondered when you would."

But, Tom didn't give her an answer.

He hopped over the large hole and stood on the opposite side.

Vivian eyed him with uncertainty as he held out his hand.

"Jump now." He said.

She hesitated.

"What? Are you scared? Pretend it's the rocks in the stream you're jumping on."

His lips curled into a smirk.

The girl's stomach flipped at that.

Instead of jumping, Vivian waved her hand and rumbling sounded.

Tom watched with intrigue.

Thick, strong vines sprouted from the hole and grew to reach the other side, replacing the missing step. They intertwined and weaved together to create a sturdy bridge.

Vivian then walked across it, wearing a satisfied grin.

"You are still able to produce magic without a wand, aren't you? You never answered my inquiry about that."

Tom breathed deeply and gripped the book, making his knuckles white.

"I will admit that I have become rather dependent on my wand. However, I won't forget how I first learned magic. I can still do plenty with my hands."