23 :・゚✧ airport surprise

The Busan air is hitting the two of Jay and Jungwon as they drag their luggage towards their hotel. The journey had been fine, with Jungwon smiling and giggling at everything like a child. It's endearing, the way he tells Jay bits and pieces about his childhood.

"You see that bridge over there? Jeongin hyung got lost here - Dad had people search for him everywhere before he stumbled around crying. We ate outside that day." Jungwon's eyes shine as he reminisces about memories in his (not really) hometown.

"I've always wanted to see the sea of Busan ever since I moved in from Seattle. I'm genuinely intrigued and excited in equal measures." Jay smiles at Jungwon, adding in his own knowledge and interest.

"Hey, did you know that seagulls thrive in water with high salinity concentrations, only because they have a pair of glands above eyes that help filter the salt from their bloodstream?"

Jungwon chuckles at the older's newly shared silly little bird fact. "Only Jay hyung would say something like this in the middle of an airport."

Jay chortles softly in return, "You're right."

"That's what I like about you."

They exit the airport, the soft pastel hues of the blue hour enveloping the city into something mellow, glowing serene. Jay listens as Jungwon shares little snippets of his time spent here, his eyes twinkling with reminiscence.

The two of them are expecting a straightforward taxi ride to their hotel, nothing more, when a voice calls out Jungwon's name from the crowd.

"Jungwon-ah!"

Jungwon goes still. Obviously the voice was familiar to him. Jay frowns slightly, trying to look at the source of the sound.

"Over here!" A petite middle-aged woman waves at the pair of them from afar. She and her husband walk towards them, smiling from ear to ear.

"Dad..?" Jungwon mutters, his eyes widening with surprise and something like (Jay must surely be assuming it) apprehension.

"How are you, dears?" Yeonha asks in a tender tone, hugging both of them. Jungwon greets them back. If you knew nothing about them, you'd think that there wasn't anything ever wrong at all, with the way he hugs his father.

Jay bows at ninety degrees, expecting a handshake but Yang Kijong, he finds out, is an openly affectionate man, despite looking a bit curt. He embraces Jay in a quick manner, smiling and asking about the journey.

"How did you- I-", Jungwon stammers, obviously very startled. Yeonha pats his shoulder.
"Don't get mad at us, now, but Jeongin told us about the arrival of you and your friend," she teases lightly. "Since we cannot invite you to stay with us because of the house renovation, it would be very, very rude of us not to welcome you to our home city and a meal as a treat. You're visiting after 4 years now."

"We missed you a lot but wanted to give you space," Kijong says, gently. "You don't have a lot of luggage."

Jungwon nods. "We're here for the Haeundae Festival. The first two days. If we had more days off our jobs then we would have loved to visit for longer."
Jay can see Jungwon's glow fading, the stars leaving his eyes to leave behind the lost, tired face. He pats his hand against Jungwon's.

"It's okay, sweethearts, seeing you both in good health is also enough for us, until the next time when you visit for longer," Yeonha smiles as Kijong helps them with the luggage (despite Jay's "No, sir, it's only two suitcases, I'll carry them fine!").

The four of them leave the airport to settle in Kijong's car, a rather old model but comfortable all the same. Jay talks and engages with Jungwon's parents (partly so that Jungwon wouldn't have to talk) and his presence is a comforting balm, helping soften the parched soil of the deserted relationships like raindrops.