Chapter 6

Shai

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Get Up!" Aubrey yelled while jumping up and down on my bed.

"I'm up mama! What is it?" I sat up in the bed and she plopped down on my lap.

"I had this craaaaazy dream lastnight!"

I sat up a little more putting my full attention on her.

"Oh really? What was it about?" I asked.

"Well, I rememba' going to sleep at Auntie Jade's house. Then, I woke up one time and you were holding me like a baby getting inside a big black truck. Theeeeeeeeeeen...." She trailed off.

"Then what?"

"Then I saw daddy! Daddy was in my dream mommy!"

"Really?" A surprised look plastered across my face. I didn't know she was up long enough to realize Aug was here.

"Yes! Daddy was in it but he didn't say anything he just looked at me and I looked back. That's all I remember tho mommy"

I chuckled, "That wasn't a dream, Baby. Your daddy was here lastnight"

She turned up her nose. "How mommy?"

"Auntie Chandra put us back in contact with each other. Me, Auntie Cha, Auntie Yaya, and Maya went to go watch Daddy perform lastnight."

Her eyes got big. "Mommy! Why didn't you take me!?"

"Because it was at a club and clubs are for grown ups."

"But I'm almost 5! I'm not a little baby anymore!"

"I know but you have to be just a little bit more grown up to go to a club, Babe." I said

I lifted us up off the bed and headed to the bathroom. I sat Bre on the sink and handed her her tooth brush.

"So I am going to see Daddy again?"

"Yes, very soon!"

"How soon?" She asked with a mouth full of toothpaste.

"Uhm, I don't know yet. It shouldn't be too long. Me and Aug are supposed to meet up today"

She shrugged her shoulders, "I guess."

She hopped down off the bathroom sink and ran to her room to get dressed for school.

*****

"Bye Mommy!"

"Bye Bre!"

She kissed my cheek and ran down the hall to her classroom.

I opened my door to my car and my phone started to buzz in the cupholder. I closed the door and answered the call.
"Hello?"

"Good Morning, Baybeh. How you doin' dis mornin'?" Aug asked.

I headed out of the parking lot and on to East Main to get to work. "Good Morning. I'm well. How are you?"

"Betta' since I seen you last night" He said.
"Whatever."

"Nah, I'm dead ass... A nigga woke up wit' a big smile on his face." I could tell he was laughing

I chuckled. "I bet you did."

"You on your way to work?" He asked.

"Yea, I just dropped Bre off right before you called."

"How she doin'?" He asked. "...She's fine."

"That's good. Don't forget ta' text me and let me know how busy you are so I know when ta' swing thru."