Chapter 2

"Have a good day baby! I love you!"

"I love you too mommy" Bre said kissing my cheek; then, running to the back with the rest of the kids in his preschool.

I got in my car and headed to the salon.

***

"Good Morning!" I greeted two of my co-workers, YaYa and Maya. I headed to the back to lock my things away and clock in. I have been working for YaYa at her salon since I moved to Atlanta. We've become close friends over the past few years.

"What has my bestfriend been up to?" Maya smirked. Ever since Maya met Bre, she has been IN LOVE with her. Some how they became 'bestfriends'.

"She's doing good.. Still running around getting on my nerves as usual"

"Now you know my bestfriend can't do that!"

I laughed, "Oh yes she can!"

"Word on the street is her daddy is back home from tour - this could be your chance", Yaya said, "and he's supposed to be performing at that new club downtown tomorrow night"

"Be serious Yaya. How the hell am I supposed to come out of nowhere and tell him I had his baby four years ago. If he doesn't remember me, he'll think of me as another groupie bitch that he's had a one night stand with"

"I don't know how you kept my bestfriend away from her fine ass daddy for so long. Couldn't be me!" Maya added.

"Trust me it is not easy. Especially, with Bre always asking me about him. She wasn't even supposed to be a 'secret' for this long. We lost touch so I had no other choice"

"When you finally get back in contact with Aug, how are you going to tell him?"

"I'm not even sure yet, Maya"

***

"Welcome to Yaya's! Do you have an appointment with one of our beauticians today?" I heard Teyanna ask someone. She sits in the front of the shop, behind a desk, where she answers the phones, books appointments, and greets our clients.

I'd just finished up a client about fifteen minutes ago. I don't have another until after I take my lunch break.

"No, Actually I was looking to speak with the owner or whoever it may concern about getting a job here"

"YaYa is not in right now, but you can speak with who's next in charge." The girl nodded and followed Teyanna over to my chair.
"Shai this is—"

"Chandra!?" I blurted out.

"It has been forever!" She said excitedly.

I'm surprised she knew who I was. I gave her a warm smile and we hugged. "I'm so glad to see you!"

I have known Chandra for as long as I have known August. We all grew up together. Chandra married Augusts' older brother, Mel, a couple years before he was murdered. Together they have three daughters, Chay, Maya, and Kay. They were still babies when I left. The youngest one wasn't even born yet; I can't imagine how big they've gotten.

"Teyanna, if YaYa comes back before I do, tell her I took my lunch early"

"What about the job" Chandra asked. "You've got it! Hands down!"

***

The drive to the restaurant was full of conversation. We were catching up on all I've missed out on since I moved. Chay, Maya, and Kay, are 9, 7, and 5. She enrolled them into school right up the street from my house.