4. The storm strikes

"ARE YOU AN IDIOT!?"
Was the first thing Shubman yelled as they sat in the car.
"Shub-"
"SHUT UP!"
Shubman snapped.
"DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I WAS!? FUCK YOUR PRANKS! NOW YOU WILL SHUT YOUR MOUTH THE WHOLE RIDE! OR ELSE I'LL BREAK YOUR BONES AND SEND YOU TO THE HOSPITAL FOR REAL!"
Shubman's nose flared angrily ad he started driving.

"WHY WOULD YOU CALL ME SAYING YOU WERE IN AN ACCIDENT?! YOU COULD'VE JUST ASKED ME TO PICK YOU UP!"
Shubman yelled once more as they reached Ishan's apartment.
"Shub-"
"JUST SHUT UP! AND GET OUT!" Shubman didn't want to say something he would regret later.
"Shub-"

"GET OUT ISHAN! GET OUT!"
Ishan blinked back his tears furiously before leaning in to kiss Shubman's cheek but when Shubman pushed him slightly, he lost it.
"Fuck this"
He ran out of the car wiping his tears furiously.
Ishan agreed he had made a mistake, he shouldn't have done what he did, but he didn't even get a chance to apologize.

Ishan had visited the hospital for a regular check up, which Shubman had always forced him to do, but this time instead of asking Shubman to pick him up when Ishan was done, he decided to prank him saying he had been in an accident and was badly injured. The minute Shubman had showed up to the hospital though, Ishan knew he had made the worst mistake of his life, because Shubman looked miserable. He had tears flowing down his face and his hair looked like a mess, like he had run his hands in them continously.

His clothes were disheleved and he looked scared, terrified infact. In short, Shubman looked absolutely wrecked and Ishan felt guilty for being the cause of Shubman's terrible state.
One look at Ishan and Shubman had known it was another one of Ishan's ridiculous pranks, but this time Shubman would not let it go and so he didn't say a word until Ishan sat in the car, and then Shubman let all his anger out.

It had been a week since that incident. Ishan had called Shubman countless times and sent countless texts but he had been completely ignored by Shubman.
All of this had taken a toll on Ishan, not only affecting him mentally but also physically. The guilt was eating him alive, but they would be okay. Ishan truly believed they would be fine, Shubman was mad right now, he would cool off soon.

"ISHAN!"
Rahul held him before he hit the ground.
"Are you okay?!!"
He made Ishan sit and filled a glass with water.
"Here"
He helped Ishan drink the water.
"I'm-I'm fine-"
"Yeah sure."
Rahul rolled his eyes.

"It's your last day in this café, Ishan.."
Rahul sighed.

"You know what.. Go home.. I'll take over your shift."
Rahul said eyeing the younger worriedly.
"No no-"
"Ishan. Shut up, and go home.. Don't worry, I'll take your shift"
Rahul insisted.
"Thank you so much"
Ishan hugged rahul before starting to walk out.

"Hey, Ishan!"
He turned around hearing rahul call out to him.
"Let's be in touch"
Rahul smiled rushing to hug him before he left.
Ishan made his way out of the cafe and immediately sat on the nearby bench.
He pinched his brows trying to ignore the headache. He contemplated on calling Shubman.

They hadn't talked after their last weeks fight. But Shubman would come, right...?
Since Ishan already knew Shubman wouldn't pick up his calls, he went to a nearby booth and called Shubman using that.
"Hello"
Ishan coughed a bit.
"What do you want Ishan?"
Great. Shubman still sounded pretty mad.

"Ho-How did you- you know it was m- me?"
"I can recognize your voice Ishan and don't you think if I wasn't picking up your calls, I didn't want to speak to you?"
"Can-can you come to pick me up at the ca-cafe?"
Ishan stuttered scared of Shubman's reaction, but he had come straight to the point since he didn't have the energy to fight.

"Where are you calling me from? And why?"
"I'm-I'm sick-"
Ishan said choosing to ignore the other question.
"YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY!?"
Ishan winced hearing Shubman yell.
"I'm really sick, Shub.. And I-i dont have any money on me right now."
Ishan tried.
"So?"

"Shub, I'm sorry for bothering you but please can you pick me up. Please..."
Ishan pleaded.
"No. And don't call me again"
The line was cut.
Ishan contemplated on calling again  but he knew it was no use. He thought of going back inside and asking Rahul for help, but Ishan knew Rahul was short on money, himself and he had already done so much for Ishan, Ishan couldn't ask for more and so Ishan walked home, in that state.

Ishan slid to the floor the moment he entered his apartment. His head was aching terribly now, breathing felt like a task. He contemplated on calling Shubman again but he knew Shubman would just yell at him again. He felt like crying now.
After contemplating for a while he dialed Shubman's number again. He had no one else in his life, Shubman was his everything.

"Hello"
He breathed raggedly. He was surprised that Shubman had picked up.
"Didn't I tell you not to call me again?"
Shubman stated angrily.
"Shub.. I'm really sick"
Ishan tried again.
"I'M NOT BELIEVING YOU! NOW SHUT UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE!!"
The line was dead again.

Ishan sighed, stood up on his shaky legs and went towards the bedroom. He crashed on the bed, not caring about changing out of his sweaty clothes. He was too tired, he had no energy in his body.
Ishan didn't know how much time had passed since he was just resting on the bed, when he heard the door open and saw Shubman stomping in the room.
"Shub!"
He smiled wearily.

Ishan felt hope blossoming in his heart. He knew despite Shubman's anger, he couldn't ignore Ishan. Just the tiny possibility of Ishan being ill would be enough for Shubman to check up on him.

________________________________________

How am I gonna keep up with these three books....
Saari umr mai joker jaa baniya riha 🤡