Chapter 10

And suddenly, in the middle trying to sort out the convoluted mess that is her brain, Jihyo slaps her palm against Sana's forehead. 

Sana snaps her head back at the unwarranted contact, flushing, cheeks heating up. She grabs Jihyo's hand and yanks it away from her head, then drops it like she’s been burnt. “Hey, don’t do that!” 

Jihyo grunts under her breath, eyes narrowing with annoyance. She puts her hand back on Sana's forehead. “Are you sure this is just a hangover and not that you’re actually sick?”    

“Yes,” Sana hisses. “I barely know you.” She leans her head back, shying away from Jihyo's touch, but Jihyo's reach is great and it doesn't do anything. Her palm stays on Sana's forehead.

“Don’t touch me.”    

“It’s not like I’m touching you for fun!” Jihyo argues and this time she puts her other hand against her own forehead, comparing both their temperatures.

“You feel a little warm.” 

“You shouldn’t be touching me for any reason!” Sana squeals, leaning even further away from her. This time, Jihyo's hand does fall away. 

Jihyo growls under her breath, then clenches her jaw. The corner of her left eye twitches.

“I’m making sure you’re not sick!” 

 "AND IM NOT TOUCHING YOU "

“I’m telling you I’m not!” Sana grunts.

“But you feel sick!”, Jihyo points her index.

The chair she’s been slumped on all morning skids backwards as she scrambles to her feet, prepared to tell Jihyo exactly how she feels about intrusive neighbours who think they know her own body better than she does. 

The sudden movement turns out to be a bad idea, because the moment Sana stands up, she finds her entire kitchen tilting on its axis, and strange, bright, spots start blooming in her vision. Her hands swing out to grasp the edge of the counter, keeping herself from stumbling over. 

Okay, maybe Jihyo's not entirely wrong about the whole being more than just hungover thing. 

“Whoa, hey, watch out.” 

Worry weaves through Jihyo's words, soft and delicate. Once again, Jihyo's empathy catches Sana by surprise. Who is this woman? Sana's struggling to reconcile what she knows of her with the woman who’s peering at Sana with so much concern clouding her neighbour's eyes, who’s making her breakfast in her kitchen like it’s the most normal thing in the world. 

"Just why", Sana thinks.

It’s what makes everything that much more frustrating; because none of this is normal. Nothing about this entire morning is making sense to her hungover, alcohol-addled brain, and if there’s one thing that Sana hates, it’s when things don’t make sense.

Especially because Jihyo is now rounding the counter to stand next to her, one hand curving over Sana's shoulder to hold her steady. 

“I said, don’t touch me!” she snaps, shrugging out of Jihyo's grasp violently. 

Does she care that she sounds ungrateful? No. Jihyo's the one who woke her with the music, exacerbating her pain, then invited herself over by bribing her with food - which means she’s had to have her ‘have company face’ on when all she wants to do is curl up in a ball and sleep for the next one hundred hours.  

“How are you still so stubborn when you can’t even stand up straight?” 

Sana's eyes flash hotly at Jihyo. “I’m not -”