Chapter 16

POV Brook

I slowly open my eyes after I don't know how much sleep and realize that I am in my room, in my bed, dressed in my Real Madrid t-shirt and shorts. I don't know who asked to dress me like that, but whoever it was I thank them.

The only thing I really remember is being in that underground parking garage with Louis chasing this idiot and getting shot.

How could I forget that last part, it still hurts and I wince in pain.

I remember my body hitting Louis's, falling into his arms and hearing him shout my name.

After that, all I have are flashbacks, bits and pieces of memories of being in the car and surrounded by doctors at the hospital saying they're going to do an operation to remove the bullet. They had to put me to sleep so I wouldn't feel the pain.

I managed to stay alive and I have absolutely no idea by what miracle. When I felt the bullet go into my stomach, when I saw all that blood coming out, when I collapsed, I thought it was over.

But only now do I feel something against my hand. I look over and see Louis sitting in my office chair, his hand in mine, his head next to our hands, asleep. He doesn't look like he's twenty-two, he has a baby face.

Did he really stay with me all this time ? I look at the time, is it one in the afternoon ? 

A smile escapes my lips, unconsciously.

Oh ! Come on, Brook ! You're so pathetic !

I lightly poke him in the head with my free hand and he slowly opens his eyes.

"Wake up Tomlinson, nap time is over."

When he finally comes to, he looks at me, fixedly, as if I were an extraterrestrial who had just descended to earth. 

"Um, are you okay? Are you seeing ghosts now ?" 

I frown. He lets out a laugh and tears come to his eyes. Tears ? Oh no... don't tell me that...

"Oh damn you're alive little Brook !" he throws himself around my neck, as if I had been resurrected. "You don't know how glad I am that you're finally awake. You don't know how you scared me, more than you usually do. Don't ever scare me like that again, I need you." 

"I need you"... 

Of course he needs me !!! Otherwise he would be already dead ! Because he said that for that reason, right ? 

He stays for a while, cuddling me and stroking my hair. I would love to push him to leave me alone and tell him I'm okay, but maybe he needs that to get his emotions together. And then, I'm still in shock to make any movement.

I hear him sniffing at me. Did he really... cry because he was afraid I would die?

"Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry it's all my fault I should have protected you. I am incapable." he said against my neck.

I ended up pushing him away from me. 

"Do you really want me to remind you who's supposed to protect who ? I AM supposed to protect you. I'm reminding you that someone wants to kill you and your friends and that's why we're here now." 

"But during the mission I was supposed to protect you. You wouldn't have been shot." 

"No Louis, all this only proves that I was right all along. You and the others can't come with us, that's far too dangerous."

"And it's not dangerous for you maybe? Damn Brook I almost lost you because of an asshole who shot you!"

Did he said "I" almost lost you ?