21. Lust and Love

It was dinner time, and Ashu and Nikhil were engrossed in their phones. Suyash joined the table, followed by Rajeshwari. As Suyash took his seat, he noticed Nikhil and Ashu absorbed in their screens. Without saying a word, he rested his cheek on his palm, watching them intently.

Mr. and Mrs. Wadhwa joined shortly after, and finally, Meera arrived. As the housemaid served the food, Ashu and Nikhil were still focused on their phones.

Everyone began to eat, except for Nikhil and Ashutosh. They remained busy with their screens, unaware of Suyash's gaze.

"Put the phone down," Suyash said authoritatively.

And just like that, both Nikhil and Ashutosh put their phones back in their pockets. They all focused on their food, and after a few minutes, Mrs. Wadhwa finished and looked at Suyash.

"Suyash," Mrs. Wadhwa called, "Meera told me you both are leaving for Canada?"

"Yeah... I have to meet with doctors. They want to do some tests on me," Suyash replied.

"Meera, how long does Suyash have to keep going to doctors?" Mr. Wadhwa asked.

Meera looked at them awkwardly, hesitant to respond.

Suyash's eyes were on her too.

"The car accident Suyash was in... it's fortunate that he even survived," Meera said.

The family looked concerned.

"I think he'll have to keep seeing doctors for the rest of his life," Meera added.

"Ashu, Nikki," Suyash interrupted, wanting to change the topic.

Both Ashu and Nikhil looked at him.

"I want both of you in the office tomorrow," Suyash said.

Ashutosh looked confused. "For what?"

"For work," Suyash replied.

Suyash realized that both Ashutosh and Nikhil were staying at home, doing nothing, and spending all their time on their mobile phones. He understood that they needed something meaningful to pull them away from their screens.

"But, Dad, I don't have any degree," Ashu said.

"Don't worry about that," Suyash said. "Tomorrow, a group of interns is joining. You'll start with them."

"Interns!" Nikhil exclaimed. "You want me to work at the lowest level?"

"Yes," Suyash said firmly. "And I don't need to explain why."

Nikhil had previously had a relationship with an employee, Shreya Desai, which created problems because he gave her special treatment. So, Suyash had to fire her.

"Sharp at 12, and wear something formal," Suyash said before leaving the table, having finished his dinner.

Suyash went back to his room, looked at the wall clock-it was 9 PM. He then sat on the sofa, turned on the TV, and tuned in to the sports channel to watch cricket.

"You know you should be ready to tell them the truth. They will find out sooner or later," Rajeshwari said as she appeared in the room.

She then sat beside Suyash on the couch. Suyash didn't respond at all. He didn't want to.

Rajeshwari grabbed Suyash's face and turned it toward her. "Honey, why are you so serious all the time? Can't you just enjoy the moment?"

Suyash moved her hand away and looked back at the TV.

Not getting any attention from Suyash, Rajeshwari gave up and entered the dressing room. As she walked inside, she looked around at the dresses hanging neatly, her vintage saree collection, extravagant sandals, purses, and jewellery boxes. It was as if Rajeshwari had her own small mall, filled with items, most of which were never used. She bought them because she wanted to, yet despite having more than most people could ever imagine, she didn't seem happy.