i

Roseanne comes back from class completely exhausted. Being a law student is interesting and rewarding, but extremely draining at times. Today was filled with long classes and particularly boring teachers. She doesn't let that discourage her; the more interesting teachers captivate her and make her feel that it will all be worth it.

She stops by her mailbox on her way to her apartment. She doesn't even know why she bothers anymore. Who even sends paper mail these days? She rifles through the coupons and the advertisements before landing on a small envelope. She turns it over slowly and her heart sinks when she sees the inscription on it.

She pulls out her keys and unlocks her door, giving it a push with her hip to open it. She places her keychain on the hook by the door, carefully takes off her shoes and places them in their allotted space, and places the rest of the contents of her mailbox in the recycling, setting aside the envelope. Her whole apartment is organized and everything has its place. She enjoys the predictability of knowing where each item is; everything else in life can be so unpredictable.

Only when her blazer is hung up in her cupboard and her face rinsed with cold water does she return her attention to the envelope. After sitting down at her desk, she slides her letter opener through the paper and pulls out the letter. She takes a deep breath and unfolds it.

TonDC High School- Class of 2010 Reunion

Dear TonDC High graduate,

Please mark Saturday July 25 2015 at 6:00 PM to your calendars to reunite with your fellow classmates and learn what they have been doing these past five years!

You may register online at www.tondchigh.com/reunion . You will be able to confirm your attendance as well as receive updates about the event. We were able to contact you, but there are still some classmates that we have been unable to reach. The website features a list of the names of your missing classmates. If you are in contact with any of them, please direct them towards the website so that they may receive all the information concerning the reunion.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Roseanne puts the letter down slowly and concentrates on controlling the rising panic in her chest. She had known this was coming, she clearly remembers the principal ending her speech on the last day of high school with "see you in five years!". She also remembers never wanting to set foot in that place again. And although Roseanne pretends not to care what people think, she wants to go to this reunion to show everyone how well she has done. Law school is no small achievement.

Roseanne did not have many friends in high school; she usually kept to herself, insisting that she was too focused on her grades to have time for social activities. Thus, there are very few people that she is looking forward to seeing at this reunion. There is, however, one person in particular that she dreads seeing again.

Suzy and Roseanne dated during senior year. At the time, Roseanne had been open and vulnerable. Her love for Suzy had been pure, and she was never happier than when they were together. The two of them made promises to love each other forever, but they had been naïve and innocent. They were forced to end their relationship when Suzy's parents discovered it. At the time, Roseanne had tried everything to get her back, but Suzy had respected her parents' wishes and dated one of the football players instead. Roseanne didn't like him, he was cocky and unpredictable, and Suzy deserved so much better.

Roseanne has started registering online when it hits her. She can't go to this high school reunion without a date. The realization makes her snap her head up in panic. Suzy is sure to be there linking arms some guy her parents approve of. Roseanne has to show her that she has moved on as well, otherwise Suzy might get the ridiculous notion that she still isn't over her.