vi

After a short taxi ride, Lisa is bursting through the front doors of the hospital. She is momentarily blinded by the glaring lights and the bright white reflection of every surface. She looks around wildly, searching for any sign of her father. Her mother had not wanted to tell her anything over the phone, and Lisa fears the worst, but she refuses to believe it. She wants to find her father alive, more than she has ever wanted anything before.

She hears her mother's voice from across the room.

"Lisa!"

She spins around and finds her mother approaching her, her hair disheveled and makeup smeared. The sight of her mother in this state makes her stomach drop, but she swallows the lump in her throat and makes sure her voice is steady before she speaks.

"Mom, where's dad?"

Chittip looks down and lets her shoulders slump. Lisa thinks she has never seen her mother look so defeated. She feels the panic rising in her chest as her fear worsens.

"Where is he?"

Chittip shakes her head and a single tear rolls down her cheek. Any doubt Lisa might have had is gone. Her mother takes her hand between her own and Lisa notices how cold they feel.

"Lisa, I'm so sorry. He's gone."

"Let me see him."

Chittip hesitates, loosening her grip on Lisa's hands.

"Lisa, are you sure you want to see him like this?"

Lisa grits her teeth and steps forward.

"Yes."

"He was in a car accident, he won't be-"

"I don't care. I have to see him."

Lisa and Chittip are led through several long corridors. After a few turns, Lisa is certain that she won't be able to find her way out of this maze alone. But she isn't preoccupied with leaving at the moment; the only thing on her mind is her father. She can't believe that he is gone. She has to see it to believe it.

After several more turns, Lisa is convinced that they are going in circles. They are eventually led into a small room where Lisa is finds her father, covered in a white sheet. She pulls it away, revealing the familiar face, but it is bruised and scratched and empty. Lisa can barely recognize her father without his smile. She quickly puts the sheet back in place, bile rising in her throat.

Lisa rushes out of the room, ignoring her mother's voice calling after her. She numbly tries to retrace her steps, but after a few turns, she realizes she is lost. She lets herself fall to the ground and brings her knees up to her chest. She blocks out her surroundings and cries.

She doesn't know how long it takes for her mother to find her; she seems to have lost the ability to keep track of time. As Chittip crouches next to her, Lisa wipes away her tears and takes in the sight of her mother. She senses that something is not right, and looks closer, noticing that her mother's pupils are dilated despite the bright light. Lisa pulls back, horrified.

"Are you on something?"

Chittip's eyes flutter shut.

"Lisa, that isn't something that you need to worry about."

"I think it is!" Lisa shouts, her grief slowly turning to anger. "Is this why dad had to pick you up? Because you were too fucked up to drive?"

Chittip purses her lips, but doesn't deny her daughter's accusation. Lisa buries her head in her hands as she starts to rock herself back and forward.