Chapter 1

Our house in the heart of Miami was officially packed up, and tomorrow we would leave for Washington. It felt surreal, like I was living in a dream that I couldn't quite wake up from. The familiar surroundings, the comforting hum of the city, and the warmth of the Florida sun were all about to become distant memories. As I finished dinner, the reality of our impending departure seemed to feel more real. Every bite of food seemed tasteless, as though the joy of eating had been drained away by the knowledge that this was our last meal in our home.

I was about to retreat to my room when I heard my mom's voice from the living room. "Luke? Max is here. I think it would be good for you two to hang out one last time."

Max. My best friend since childhood. The thought of leaving him behind added another layer of sadness to an already emotional day. I made my way to the front door, where Max stood with his skateboard in hand, wearing his usual attire of a green T-shirt and shorts. He looked slightly disheveled, but it suited him. 

"Hey," he greeted me, his tone a mix of sadness and determination. "Since you're leaving, I thought it would be good for us to have one last hangout session."

Despite the circumstances, Max always had a way of bringing a sense of normalcy to any situation. His ability to make things feel routine, even when they were far from it, was one of the reasons we had remained so close over the years. "Yeah, I agree," I replied, mustering a smile. "I'll meet you out front. I just need to grab my skateboard from the garage."

I ventured into the garage, where boxes upon boxes were stacked high, each one showing the life we were leaving behind. The once-familiar space was now a maze of cardboard and packing materials. I found the box labeled "Luke" and rummaged through it until I unearthed my beat-up skateboard. It was worn from years of use, but to me, it was a symbol of countless adventures and memories.

Returning to the front door, I found Max waiting patiently, his eyes reflecting the same mixture of nostalgia and sadness that I felt. "You want to go to that old parking garage?" he suggested. "The sunset is pretty good tonight."

I nodded, the lump in my throat making it difficult to speak. "Yeah, that sounds perfect. One last time."

Together, we set off down the familiar streets, the wheels of our skateboards clattering against the pavement. The rhythmic sound was oddly soothing, a reminder of countless afternoons spent skating through the neighborhood. The sun dipped lower in the sky, casting a warm, golden light over the cityscape. It felt bittersweet, knowing that this would be our last adventure together in Miami. Every corner we passed seemed to hold a memory, each one tinged with the sadness of impending separation.

As we reached the parking garage, we ascended to the top floor, where we had spent countless evenings watching the sunset and dreaming of the future. The garage was deserted, a stark contrast to the vibrant memories we had created there. Now, the future felt uncertain, and the sunset seemed to take on a deeper significance. It was as if the sky was mirroring our emotions, painting a picture of both beauty and sadness.

We sat in silence for a while, the only sound the gentle hum of the city below us. The sky painted a masterpiece of colors, each shade more vibrant than the last. The golden hues melted into deep purples and blues, creating a canvas that was both breathtaking and heart-wrenching. In that moment, I wished time would stand still, allowing us to linger in this moment forever.

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a golden glow over Miami. Its reflection shimmered on the buildings, creating a pathway of light that seemed to stretch endlessly into the horizon. The air was cool, a gentle breeze rustling the leaves of the trees that surrounded the parking garage where Max and I sat. The soft murmur of the city life was the only sound.